Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deanriowa

2010-2011 Garlic list

deanriowa
13 years ago

Finally a hard freeze thus I will try doing my planting of garlic hopefully tomorrow. I had such a good first year with garlic, that I plan on tripling the amount and doubling last years varieties. Maybe enough for trading next season.

Here are the varieties I have to plant:

Chrysalis Purple, DX-127, Georgian Crystal, Georgian Fire, German Hardy, Khabar, Leningrad, Nootka Rose, Red Estonian, Red Toch, Thermadrone, Wildfire(to size up), plus 100+ , Martin's Heirloom bulbils(a two year project).

Has everyone got all their garlic planted?

What varieties is everyone else doing this season?

thanks,

Dean

Comments (10)

• promethean_spark
    13 years ago

Early Italian Purple (artichoke)
    Inchelium Red (Artichoke)
    Kettle River (artichoke)
    Lorz Italian (artichoke)
    Red Toch (artichoke)
    supermarket, likely chinese (turbin)
    Asian Tempest (asiatic)
    Sonoran (asiatic)
    Ajo Rojo (creole)
    chesnok red (purple stripe)
    german stiffneck (porcelain)
    russian red (rocombole)
    bogatyr (marbled purple stripe)
    romanian (porcelain)
    rosewood (porcelain)
    Silver Rose (silverskin)
    Red Janice (turban)
    Shilla (turban)

Elephant garlic and leek sets (bulbs from last years smaller leeks) get treated the same. I meant to plant them last weekend, but only got so far as clearing some of the beds of leftover summers stuff. No frost yet, still getting tomatoes and eggplant, cucurbits are toast though.

I have some german white porcelain bulbils that I grew to marble sized last year, they probably need one more year to produce full sized heads (3 years, stalk to full head). This year I have bulbils from my turbin garlic, which were much bigger than the porcelain's bulbils.

• soilent_green
    13 years ago

Hardneck, Rocambole, "German Brown"
    Hardneck, Rocambole, "Montana Giant"
    Hardneck, Rocambole, "Spanish Roja"
    Hardneck, Rocambole, "Bavarian"
    Hardneck, Porcelain, "Music"
    Hardneck, Porcelain, "Romanian Red"
    Hardneck, Porcelain, "Georgian Fire"
    Hardneck, Porcelain, "German Extra Hardy"
    Hardneck, Purple Stripe, "Chrysalis"
    Hardneck, Purple Stripe, "Chesnok Red"
    Hardneck, Purple Stripe, "Krandasger Red"
    Softneck, Artichoke, "Polish White"
    Softneck, Artichoke, "Inchellium Red"

All planted and mulched. Still have some varieties in bulbils if anyone wants to trade. Am going to throw them away soon. Planted 3500 cloves, 5000 bulbils. Started the "addiction" 4 years ago with 2 bulbs (14 cloves)...

I have a few photos of 2010 harvest on my seed list if anyone is curious.

Tom

Here is a link that might be useful: My Seed List

• deanriowa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

soilent_green said, Planted 3500 cloves, 5000 bulbils. Started the "addiction" 4 years ago with 2 bulbs (14 cloves)...

I only plant 400 cloves and 100+ bubils in my second year, good to know what could happen in 4 fours, I will try to keep the addiction in check. ;)

Dean

• carolynbinder
    13 years ago

I planted about 300 cloves this year, and they are already starting to peek through the soil.

Ajo Rojo
    Transylvanian
    Russian Giant
    Inchelium Red
    Susanville
    Lorz Italian

I'm still cooking with garlic from my last harvest. It really is an addictive crop to grow, and SO much better than storebought garlic. Love it!

Here is a link that might be useful: Cowlick Cottage Farm

• kathy645
    13 years ago

I planted 75-80 cloves--twice as many as last year. My known varieties are CA garlic (not a great harvest this year but I'll try again) and Spanish Roja. Also planted some hardneck and softneck from my sister in No. CA and another hardneck from a neighbor friend. I had planned to do a bit more but time and circumstance got away from me. I know it's addictive. Next year I'll start looking for varieties much earlier. I've been amazed how well onions, leeks and garlic grow here. It's been fun. It hasn't been fun seeing the deer eat my Egyptian walking onions that I planted outside the garden enclosure. Very annoying.
    Kathy

• neohippie
    13 years ago

Saved from last year:
    Pskem River
    Persian Star
    Georgian Fire
    Tochliavri (is that the same as Red Toch?)
    Elephant Garlic
    Chet's Italian Red
    Broadleaf Czech
    German Extra Hardy

New this year:
    Sonoran
    Lorz Italian
    Shilla
    Ajo Rojo
    Inchelium Red

The first list are ones I originally got from SSE's garlic sampler pack that did well enough to re-plant (Bogatyr and Crysalis Purple didn't make the cut, the first for rotting before re-planting time, and the second for not forming full bulbs to begin with.) That was my first batch of garlic to grow!

The second are all from a wonderful and generous GW trader whose screen name I didn't keep track of. Thank you!

I'm still eating Chet's Italian Red, Broadleaf Czech, and Tochliavri. I also have some dried hardneck cloves to use when those run out. After Bogatyr rotted I got paranoid that the other hardnecks weren't going to last either, so I dried whatever was left after planting.

I may not have to buy garlic at the store ever again!

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    13 years ago

I notice a lot of of common varieties in these lists, especially for those carried by SSE. My planting went in on time for a change, due to a dry Fall:

Bogatyr (hardneck/Marbled Purple Stripe)
    Carpati (softneck/artichoke)
    Chet's Italian Red (softneck/artichoke)
    Chrysalis Purple (hardneck/rocambole)
    * Estonian Red (hardneck/MPS)
    Georgian Crystal (hardneck/porcelain)
    Georgian Fire (hardneck/porcelain)
    * Kettle River Giant (softneck/artichoke)
    Premium Northern White (hardneck/porcelain)
    Ron's Single Center (softneck/artichoke)
    Samarkand (Persian Star) (hardneck/purple stripe)
    Special Idaho (hardneck/rocambole)
    * Vic's (no data yet)

Those marked (*) are first-time trials. "Ron's Single Center" & "Special Idaho" are my favorites, both have very large bulbs & do consistently well regardless of weather. I've tried & dropped about 10 other varieties, either because they suffered high winter kill, or because I was not impressed by their yield. "Chet's Italian" has some of the smallest cloves, which almost made me drop it; but it has huge bulbs, a prodigious yield, and makes a great garlic powder.

I had to pull out my diagram & count what I planted; there are over 300 garlic plants. These are part of a larger Allium planting, also including 2 multiplying onions (bulb), 5 multiplying onions (topset), Pearl Onion (which is really a leek relative) and several perennial bunching onions.

An interesting observation. I've often stated that you can learn good things in a bad year, and this was one of those years. My area (and Dean's) had record rainfall in June & July this year, and my garden - that which was not flooded outright - was severely waterlogged. Couldn't get in to harvest. I almost lost much of my garlic, and literally had to dig some of it out of the mud before it rotted. Most of my earthworms were dead, and the soil itself smelled rotten. Never seen anything like it in all my years gardening.

The interesting thing was how the different types of garlic responded to the the extra moisture. Most of the hardnecks were a little smaller than normal. The softnecks, on the other hand, thrived. Their bulb size was about normal, but the cloves were far larger than normal - the cloves of "Ron's" were the largest cloves except for "Bogatyr"!

I've always interplanted hardnecks & softnecks; but since the water requirements seem to differ, I will separate them in the future. Too late this year, though.

All varieties seemed a little milder this year. I think a dry period as the bulbs are maturing brings out their "bite", and we never got a break from the rains.

"I only plant 400 cloves and 100+ bubils in my second year, good to know what could happen in 4 (years), I will try to keep the addiction in check. ;)"

I'm not worried, I think my bean addiction will keep my garlic addiction in check. ;-)

• deanriowa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Zeedman says, "My area (and Dean's) had record rainfall in June & July this year"

I was lucky my garlic was planted in the driest part of my garden.

"Kettle River Giant", I have seen this garlic on many peoples list. Does anyone have any information on this garlic? Zeedman I hope for report from you next year how the Kettle River Giant did for you.

thanks,
    Dean

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    13 years ago

Dean, after one really bad garlic year, I learned to plant mine on the high side too. Good thing, or I might have lost it all this year.

(Side note: some of the varieties I dropped due to high winter kill - such as "Music" - were planted that year. I may need to give them another try.)

"Kettle River Giant" was once carried by quite a few SSE members; now only SSE itself offered it in the Yearbook. It is an Artichoke type. I was impressed with the bulb size, and the pure white, uniformly large cloves. Only time will tell if it is hardy enough for my area, or if it tastes as good as it looks.

Perhaps a little OT... but I've been researching garlic a lot recently. Looking back at Yearbooks from 2000 to 2010, I am struck by how many large-scale garlic preservationists have dropped out of SSE in recent years. Do you realize that up until 2005, SSE's Heritage Farm offered no garlic listings in the Yearbook? All garlic listings were by members. SSE began adding garlic listings in 2006, and by 2010, were the only Yearbook source for 136 garlic varieties... including "Kettle River Giant".

Acting as a safety net, SSE has begun to offer the varieties once carried by departing members. That's a lot of eggs in one basket, since one bad year could wipe out many varieties - and SSE has had several bad years. Granted, commercial sources presently offer quite a few heirloom garlics; but small companies have a bad habit of disappearing with little notice, taking their unique varieties with them. I'm considering a major increase in my garlic preservation efforts.

• deanriowa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thankyou for you the Kettle River Giant garlic information, please do let me know how it does for you Zeedman this coming season.

Note: My garlic just got 3" of snow cover today with more coming, hopefully protecting them from winter kill.

Zeedman says,"Do you realize that up until 2005, SSE's Heritage Farm offered no garlic listings in the Yearbook? All garlic listings were by members. SSE began adding garlic listings in 2006, and by 2010, were the only Yearbook source for 136 garlic varieties... including "Kettle River Giant". Acting as a safety net, SSE has begun to offer the varieties once carried by departing members. That's a lot of eggs in one basket, since one bad year could wipe out many varieties"

Sounds like there is a need for an organized project to further the preservation effort of garlic. I would have some interest, I wonder about others

Dean

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations