Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
multiple centers in onions

Posted by jeaninmt 3a (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 24, 12 at 22:42

Hello, Once again I am noticing my onions have multiple centers more often than not when I cut into them. Can anyone suggest why this keeps happening?

I start the seeds in late January in the house, with 15-20 seeds in a 4" pot. Then plant them in the garden in Mid-May with a straw mulch until early June. In the end of August they get pulled and finish drying in the barn for another month.

These are long day onions, Yellow of Parma are the ones I've checked so far.
Thanks for any ideas.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: multiple centers in onions

I am not that familiar with Yellow of Parma. However it is not usual for many varieties of onions especially older varieties to have multiple centers. Many of the newer hybrids like Ringmaster are develop specifically for single centers. Multiple center onions will divide into a clump of onions the second year. Most of the older varieties show this multiplier tendency to some degree.

o
RE: multiple centers in onions

Well that is what I needed to know, thank you farmerdill !! When I plant some of the overwintered ones, i do see the clump of flower stalks and wonder how so many grow. The multiple centers makes sense. And I guess one doesn't really Need single centered onions. It does seem like less centers might contribute to better storage, but it really hasn't bothered ours !!!
Thanks again.
Do you have any experience overwintering small onions planted in pots ? I was thinking of putting them in our crawl space, its about 45 degrees. Otherwise I'm thinking they'll wither away before planting season. Thanks for any ideas...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here