Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mootgirl

Planting Garlic beside Roses?

mootgirl
18 years ago

I've read that garlic makes an excellent companion plant for a wide variety of garden plants because its oils naturally deter some insect pests and may enhance fragrance in flowering plants like roses.

This year I harvested my first garlic crop, by and large with good success. I now have a decent supply of planting stock from this summer's harvest, and more garlic than I can eat.

I know garlic doesn't like competition; do any of you grow it near roses or other garden plants as companions? If so, how many garlic plants are needed to maximize the benefit to the companion plant? I will certainly put in a plot of just garlic for my main harvest next year, but I'm wondering whether or not I should plan on getting a useful harvest from any garlic I plant close to roses, or in the vegetable bed near where my tomatoes will go next spring. If not, I presume that would be a secondary good use for the smaller cloves (after spring garlic, of course), or for cheap grocery store garlic.

Also, should I allow this companion garlic to remain in the ground all summer, past its normal harvest time, to maximize the benefit to the other plants, or am I better off harvesting it as usual, and planting new stock in the early fall?

Have any of you experimented with this at all, or do you all grow alliums to the exclusion of other plants? ;)

thanks!

-Leah

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus