Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kenyadenola_gw

Some Spinach With That Garlic?

kenyadenola
17 years ago

When I plant my garlic, I plant the cloves 4" apart in either direction, so that there is basically a 4" square in between four garlic plants, my question would be, could I plant say spinach or mustard greens in those 4" squares?

I know that garlic doesn't like competion from weeds, so would this be like a weed groing in the garlic bed? Or could I plant them 6" apart and be able to get away with it?

I really hate to see that space go to waste especially since the garlic is in the ground for such a long time. I like to put as much in a bed as possible, especially for diversity. I make my beds work overtime, but I also reward them generouslly as well with lots of compost and worm castings and such.

Also, if I put the spinach in there, I would probably add a hoop house over the bed. We don't have terribly severe winters, but it would keep the spinach growing at a good pace. It would also help the garlic if we get a winter like we had last year were it rained every day for a month. The garlic hated it and started showing yellow tips before spring even came.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Kenya

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction