Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
growing from seed in lower michigan

Posted by oldpot mi (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 5, 12 at 7:25

i been growing onion sets for last 4 years but love to try from seed
1/will seed onions work in Michigan if so what best time to sow (indoors)
2/ whats best variety's to use
ty in advance

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: growing from seed in lower michigan

You can grow any of the long-day varieties in MI, and there are plenty! Fedco and Johnny's offer lots of great choices. Starting the seeds indoors in mid to late January is generally best, because it takes the little seedlings a long time to get going. When days get longer in March, they can go outside into a cold frame for setting out in April.

Some of the varieties you can grow from seed are so cool! I love the long red torpedo onions for eating fresh. Red Milano was one of my prettiest storage onions last year, but I have way too many favorites to name.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here