Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenerzone4

How do I know if an onion is short, long, medium, or neutral day?

gardenerzone4
12 years ago

I live in the Midwest at a latitude of 41ÃÂN. As I read the Stokes catalog, I could not find enough information on the onion descriptions to enable me to choose the appropriate onion varieties for my area. I've typically seen seed catalog descriptions indicate whether each onion is a short-day, intermediate-day, long-day, or day length neutral variety. Johnny's Seed even describes the precise range of latitudes for which each onion variety is suited. For example, the following page shows that Walla Walla is adapted to 35ÃÂ-55ÃÂ latitude, so I know that it'll bulb up in my area: http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-8613-walla-walla-sweet-og.aspx

But Stokes has no such descriptions. How am I supposed to know whether an onion would bulb up at my latitude? Is there a comprehensive list somewhere that I can reference?

Also, is it true that onion seeds are only viable for 1 year? What's the germination rate by year 2?

Comments (7)

• wcthomas
    12 years ago

There is some more information on day length here: http://www.dixondalefarms.com

Dixondale sells plants, which I have had more success with than seeds.

Onion seeds are usually listed as having only one year of viability, so I imagine the germination rate in year two is fairly low. Of course low could mean as much as 50%, so if you have an excess of seeds it may be worth a try.

TomNJ

• david52 Zone 6
    12 years ago

I buy onion seed in 'bulk' and keep it in the freezer, year to year. As an example, $8 in the HPS catalog will get you 2,250 seeds for 'Candy". While the viability may decrease year to year, I haven't noticed it that much, now on year 3 for the same seed packet. We'll see how year 4 goes......

Start the seeds in early Feb, they are pencil-sized+ in April/May when I set them out. The advantages are - far less transplant shock, they don't skip a beat when they're planted. The roots are significantly larger and more developed.

• cybrczch
    12 years ago

In the Culture blurb on the onion page, they state "develop and promote the best new hybrids for Northeastern growers." Based on that, I would guess most of the onions they carry, especially the hybrids, are long day onions. You could also check out the Seminis, Takii, Crookham, and Nunhem websites (those companies are the major breeders that produce the hybrids Stokes sell) to see what they describe them as (example, Alpine, Norstar, Trailblazer are long day according to Takii).

• Mark
    12 years ago

I think Cyrczch has hit the nail on the head. Check what the breeders say about their varieties.
    The only other thing I would add, is that if Stokes doesn't list enough info for you, don't buy from Stokes. I personally haven't found their quality to be very good.

Ditto on onion seed storage in the fridge. Two years ago I got a great deal on a gallon bucket of pelleted onion seed from a large seed company. It was listed as 2002 seed when they pulled it from storage 2 years ago and sold it to me for cheap. I've planted thousands of seeds and still get 40-50% germ with good vigor.

• farmerdill
    12 years ago

Concur: Stokes only vends long day onions which is to be expected since it is basicly a Canadien Company. Long Day onions are grown in the deep south (Z8-9). Intermediates like Candy, Red Candy Apple, Superstar,Cimarron are pretty easily recognisable. In you area short day varieties are probably best, but the intermediates should do allright.
    Most seeds will keep for a long time in a freezer. Under ordinary storage onion seeds are very short lived.

• Mark
    12 years ago

Uh, farmerdill, I think you know what you're saying but saying it wrong. Long day are northern varieties, short day onions are southern.
    At a latitude of 41 the OP should be planting LONG DAY onions or (as you stated), intermediate.
    I think you just mixed up the wording but have the right idea.

• farmerdill
    12 years ago

Right: I am getting old. Long day onions for the north. Short day onions are grown in the south in winter for harvest in April and early May.
    {{gwi:361399}}

Sponsored