Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mensplace

Sweet Onions: When is SWEET really sweet? Varieties

mensplace
14 years ago

Here in Georgia, SWEET means Vidalia....really a yellow Granex. But I have seen many other vaieties referred to as sweet such as Bermuda. The only Bermuda I ever had was really pungent. Then I read of a Candy onion..apparently a red vairiety, but Dixondale is sold out. Many an ad refers to regular red onions as being sweet, but those I have in restaurant salds are STRONG. AM I spoiled by the Vidalia...which doesn't last long and all too often has a soft center. What AM I looking for and where from? Could it be that the info I have read saying that only the soil around Vidalia which is very low in sulfur produces a truly sweet, mild onion? Your suggestions please. Maybe it IS just me, because my wife loves scallions and swears they are sweet, but for my own tasting they seem acrid and sit on my stomack for hours unless cooked.

Comments (11)

• farmerdilla
    14 years ago

That is a good question. Growing conditions do affect the flavor of onions. Sulphur is one of the elements which is associated with pungency. The Granex types ( last time I checked, there were over 20 varieties approved by Georgia to be grown as Vidalia onion) are generally considered mild not sweet. Personally I find the sweet Spanish types as sweet as the Vidalias. I know, that is sort of like rooting for the Yellowjackets in territory owned by the Bulldogs. The old Christal White Wax sometimes sold as the Bermuda onion is very mild but not overly flavorful. Others that came out the the same breeding program as the Granex (TAMU) include White Granex, Texas 1015, Grano. The new intermediate day onions are touted as being sweet, those incude Candy which is also available in a red version, Super Star, Numex Casper, Red Amposta. I have not tried these. Actually I am so close to the Vidalia area, That I only grow a few whites and reds for a change of pace. Much cheaper to pick up a sack of Vidalias than to try growing them.

• mensplace
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I love Vidalias, but even with the incredibly strict certification process I noticed a considerable range this year for the first time ever in terms of the amount of bight. Ironically, this was also the first year that none had core rot or black mold in the center. I'm just a short ways north of Atlanta. Wonder if Ingles and whole foods have them in storage elsewhere? I would love a good, sweet red..is candy the one? Most seed sources seem sold out this year. Wonder if my creating a trench with compost and sand would help reduce the sulfur problem? That would be rather like a sandy loam. Any idea of the BEST, sweetest, least acrid and biting white and red you would recommend that would last...and a source for seed for this year? I read the TEXAS site ..which was excellent. One bag of WallaWalla said it was the same seed as Vidalias. Strong onions sit on my stomach and B.O. for days, so I definitely want something as sweet as possible and mild. RE UGA, I went to school in ACC country where basketball is the only real sport, but still cannot get used to Tech in the ACC!

• farmerdilla
    14 years ago

Walla Walla is a sweet Spanish type. White Granex is a very good short day onion for me. Like Yellow Granex, short shelf life under normal conditions. Have not found a really good performing short day red.

• TJG911
    14 years ago

i never heard of a red candy but perhaps there is one. i have grown candy and it is white. candy is sweet and stores a very long time easily 5 months 6 is what i got maybe it was 7 months. candy is day neutral so you can grow it in the south or north. alisa craig exhibition is another sweet onion i have grown. it stores about 5 months but unfortunately for you it is a day long onion.

the lack of sulfur in the soil in vidallia county accounts for the sweetness tho i expect these onions called vadallia would be sweet outside that location since they are mild.

tom

• mensplace
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The white and red candy onions, sweet bermudas, and sweet reds intrigue me as long keepers. When I can find some seed in December I intend to do so, but seems nobody has either seeds or plants available now...even though I would like to go on and wrap up my winter planting!

• neohippie
    14 years ago

I think it's probably a combination of the variety of onion, the soil, and the climate conditions it's grown in. So there's only so many of those things you can control without moving. It probably helps to grow Granex or Vidalia to get sweeter onions, but they won't be as sweet as those varieties grown in sulfur-deficient soil.

Also, I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think the reason sweet onions don't keep as well is because the pungent compounds also act as preserving agents. There are probably other factors involved as well, but sweet onions are at a disadvantage.

• TJG911
    14 years ago

===>Also, I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think the reason sweet onions don't keep as well is because the pungent compounds also act as preserving agents.

correct the sulfur compounds that make an onion hot also contribute to it's storage ability.

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

I have a question about planting onions (sets, or pearl onions). I grew some onions for the first time this past season. They did OK but I did not get real big or even medium ones. Mine were were mostly smal. At that time I think I planted them too deep. Instead op opening a new thread I post my question here.
    So here is the question:
    HOW DEEP ONION SETS, GARLICS AND SHALLOTS SHOULD BE PLANTED? DO YOU REMOVE SOILD FROM AROUND THEM AT CERTAIN POINT IN TIME?

I hope farmerdill and all experienced onion growers clarify this.
    So far this fall I have been planting my onion sets, shallots and garlics real shallow and they seem to be doing just fine.
    I hav seen some champion onion growers remove lots of soil from around onions, exposing more than half of the maturing onions.
    so, how do you do it?

• yopper
    14 years ago

I'am about as far from Georgia as you can be.( UP of Mi.)But I have grown the regular CANDY onion for many years.It is as sweet as any onion I ever ate including VIDALIA.Mine average 6 inches some up to 8 inches and some will keep till spring if cured right and the weather is dry when you harvest.I plant plants from Texas. I plant them to the depth of the first knucle on my index finger and they will push the dirt away and grow the bulb on top of the ground. YOPPER PS Hi TOM

• mensplace
    Original Author
    14 years ago

After doing some study I was reminded of how much longer the days are during the winter up there and that that is why most of the long keeping onions that are so solid, large, and good for long time storage without a special gas and temperature controlled storage house are not grown in the deep south. Maybe some others here from Georgia or similar southern latitude can provide some feedback if the have grown the Candy onion here.