Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rtich_gw

harvesting red onions from seeds

rtich
15 years ago

I had planted a variety of red onions from seed this past late spring. They were grown in compstable boxes above ground. As we have now had very cold nights and some frosts, I have taken the boxes inside. Most of the onions still have very health and strong green shoots. None of them developed any bulbs of significant size. I would describe them as similar in shape/size to shallots or green onions. As I have never grown onions from seed before, is there a way to over-winter them to see if they will come back next year (such as with garlic)? I know we can use them as is. If I plant in ground outside and give a good layer of mulch, would this work? Should I pull them and store in cool area indoors to replant next season? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Comment (1)

• TJG911
    15 years ago

onions will produce seeds in their 2nd year so i'd say you will not get bulbs. you have to start seeds in february and put out the plants in april. the long days or short nights, 1 or the other but uncertain which, in mid june trigger bulb formation. you started too late and they never formed bulbs is my guess. eat the shoots and start your seeds early next season. also be sure your onions are either day neutral or day long onions. day short are for the south and will not bulb here in the north.

tom

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!