Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
momma_s

Am I growing garlic & shallots correctly?

momma_s
14 years ago

On 10/7 I planted top left: CA Early White Garlic. Bottom: French Red Shallots; Dutch Yellow Shallots. They've had so much growth, that I'm second guessing myself, and wondering if I started them too early...

Taken on 10/29

{{gwi:368606}}

Taken this morning:

{{gwi:368607}}

Can someone let me know if these little guys seem to be doing ok, and what--if anything, I should do next? Should I cut the scapes off? If yes, how long should I keep them?

Feeling discouraged...

Comments (7)

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

Momma, I think you are doing just fine. some of my garlics and shallots are the same size. They will slow down as it gets cooler.
    I am in zone 8, GA and we have had a very mild fall weather so far. That helps fall crops to grow a bit faster. Even my cubanell, gypsy and jalapenos peppers are having a ball. I've got more cubanell peppers this fall than in the summer.

I have planted some onions from seeds, they are now about 5" tall. So are my lettuce and arrugulas. I may have some for Thanksgiving salad.

• promethean_spark
    14 years ago

My garlic is that far along too and I'm also in 9b. It'll be ready in May and you'll be able to plant summer stuff in it's place then. I'm not as familiar with shallots, but I'm pretty sure a 9b winter won't phase them, especially considering they're well drained in that raised bed.

• bloosquall
    14 years ago

Momma,

That is the problem with planting so early in a warmer climate...too much top growth, it's not going to hurt them but it's not ideal. Mid November is a better time to get them in IMO. You don't have scapes yet and most likely won't according to the variety you planted, those are Artichokes..softnecks.

-bloo

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

Bloosquall, I had planted some garlics last year in September. They did fine and I harvested them early June. Of course, In zone 8 GA, it is not that warm. We may have some sub freezing nights( down to 15F) in the winter. SO the garlics, shallots, .. are not going to grow much from now till March. It may be different in SO.CA and FL.

• momma_s
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for responding, and for the reassurances, everyone.

So, should I trim the tops off the garlic and shallots to help promote bulb growth? If so, how much should I leave ON the plants?

• bloosquall
    14 years ago

Cyrus, thank you for that info on zone 8, I only know what I've read concering the more southern zones when it comes to alliums :-)

Momma, DO NOT cut on the garlic and shallot plants. You would be forcing the plant to put all it's energy into making new ones. They look great.

• neohippie
    14 years ago

Right now you want lots of top growth. The plants are photosynthesizing and making carbohydrates that will later be stored in their bulbs. The more top growth now, the bigger the bulbs later.

Sponsored