Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tjg911

french pink and nootka rose

TJG911
16 years ago

softnecks, bought some locally and planted yesterday along with some hardnecks. after planting i have a lot of small cloves of each, so i ate some.

good lord! both of these should be renamed "no flavor but extremely hot". both of these have virtually no garlic flavor but oh baby do they burn! i thought they would literally burn a hole in my mouth and i'm not kidding (it was intense) but i'm not big on hot stuff. the korean red which was supposed to be really hot was NOTHING compared to these two! i'm now wishing i tasted them 1st, i may have planted just 7 of each vs 24 of each opting for more hardnecks.

mark, if you have room and want to try these AND you have a way to mail these to you, i'll send you 5 or 6 cloves of each. the cloves are quite small a bit smaller than a kidney bean, even the biggest cloves were small compared to my other hardneck cloves, like about 1/20th the size but my music cloves which are just HUGE, like about 1.5 times the size of a ping pong ball! i can't just put them in an envelope. a plastic pill bottle (i'm so healthy i don't have any pill containers as i don't buy any scripts) in a box or pouch packed with newspaper? the smallest box would cost say $4 via the post office. interested? sorry folks, this is just for mark, i'm not offering this to anyone else.

tom

Comments (3)

• TJG911
    Original Author
    16 years ago

funny how since 11/7 no one commented on this! guess no one grows these 2 varieties.

so now it's 3/21 and i have eaten a few cloves of each and i have a different opinion and i am glad i planted what i did.

french pink are not storing as well as nootka rose but all these were separated looking for the largest cloves to plant. you should store garlic in bulbs not single cloves so maybe this is why the fp is showing signs of storage. it is slightly off from the white flesh of last fall and many cloves have brown spots. the taste is not so hot (as in burning my mouth) and does have flavor. so all in all not too bad.

the nr has stored better some are hot some are not too bad and the taste is good.

not sure what i'll do in the fall as to planting these again cuz i grew 5 or 6 varietes and all taste like - GARLIC so not sure if all the varieties i planted last fall make a whole lot of sense, we'll see come august and september.

neither fp or nr have sprouted which is more than i can say for music! it stored ok but many have been spouting for the past few weeks tho many still have not. i found that if you peel the cloves and freeze then they are fine after thawing so when your garlic starts to head down hill freeze it.

tom

• sharonlerose
    16 years ago

Possibly no one commented because your post seemed directed to "Mark."

It is surprising that you are planning to use last years garlic seed for planting this year. That is not recommended, or usually even posssible because even the best keepers don't last a year.

I've never heard of anyone freezing garlic and then using it for growing. It generally ruins the garlic for planting. You should report your finding to the Garlic Seed Foundation, because it is a first to my knowledge.

• TJG911
    Original Author
    16 years ago

sharonlerose,

seems there's some confusion here! my initial post was to the forum, ie everyone, i was commenting on these 2 varieties and was curious about other's impressions.

the offer for some cloves to plant was specificly directed to mark as i did not have enough to give to many different people. i thought that was clear but perhaps not.

It is surprising that you are planning to use last years garlic seed for planting this year. That is not recommended, or usually even posssible because even the best keepers don't last a year. well that's not what i did and i did not think that was what i was saying. i planted these 2 varieties in nov 2007 using cloves harvested in july 2007.

I've never heard of anyone freezing garlic and then using it for growing. It generally ruins the garlic for planting. You should report your finding to the Garlic Seed Foundation, because it is a first to my knowledge. again, i never said that, at least i did not think i was saying that. i froze garlic that was sprouting to see what effect it had on the garlic when i thawed it for fresh eating. no way would i feeze garlic and then plant it. i doubt that would be a wise thing to do.

tom

Sponsored