Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Overwintering in Small Containers

Posted by Edymnion z7 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 27, 12 at 13:33

Hello, quick question.

I've got some garlic cloves in 1-2 gallon thin walled containers (basically the leftover containers from blueberries and the like from earlier in the year). I know that garlic likes to sit through the winter before being ready in the spring, my question though is do I need to worry about them freezing in such small containers?

They're out where the soil will warm up (relatively speaking) during the day, but it isn't uncommon here for temperatures to drop down into the teens and sometimes single digits for a few nights a year. With how small the pots are, I would think having the entire thing freeze solid would be a threat.

Is it actually something I will need to watch out for (and possibly move the containers into the utility room during the coldest nights), or will they be fine out there in the snow?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Overwintering in Small Containers

I think they will be fine outside as garlic doesn't seem to mind being frozen solid. I've seen garlic in 1 gallon pots sitting outside through the winter come out in the spring, and reach full sized bulbs.

o
RE: Overwintering in Small Containers

Excellent, I do so enjoy set and forget gardening plants. =)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here