Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
watering?

Posted by toad_ca z7b Bellingham, WA (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 24, 13 at 13:37

I planted my garlic in October and watered until the rain started a few weeks later. Usually I can forget about them until I fertilize a little in February. But we've been having sunny skies and freezing nighttime temps for over a week, and it looks like it will continue that way for at least another week. Should I water my garlic?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: watering?

I just checked the moisture in my soil. And it's fine. Even though the sun is out, there is not enough evaporation to make a difference. My grass does not even dry out enough for me to mow.

o

Agreed. I don't think about watering till April/May.

o

Good PNW crowd here.

Agree. No watering. Even without rain ,b/c there is no evaporation at cool temperatures and the soil will stay moist. And the other thing is that the roots will be going down few more inches.

o

• Posted by toad_ca z7b Bellingham, WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Dec 1, 13 at 16:31

sorry for the lag-time. Thank you all! And thanks to seysonn, I too just noticed that all the responders are NWers. Stay warm!

o

You welcome, Toad .

If you were gardening somewhere like in southern CA, that it was warm, sunny and didn't rain for weeks, you should have watered your garlic. But here by the Pacific Ocean we are already getting too much rain, clouds, short days, . I am thinking about putting a hoop over my garlic bed. I might make it a portable one (only 3ft by 5ft)

o

Here by the Pacific Ocean we have only had 5" of rain this season. I had to go out and water garlic yesterday as the later planted varieties were showing no sign of sprouting. Will have another session of it today.

Of course, I grow in raised beds which dry out much faster than the earth.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here