Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yugoslava

Cippolini

yugoslava
14 years ago

I was at a health food store where I came across these onions. The label said "Cippolini". However, I have come across different looking onions also called cippolini. The onions I purchased are quite flattened, have redish husk not like red onions but a very pleasing colour. The flesh under the husk appears red. I haven't cut them yet. I also wonder how are they propagated. Would it be similar to shallots. I might try to post a picture but I'm not too good doing that.

Comments (8)

• yugoslava
    Original Author
    14 years ago

This is a picture of the onions.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:368729}}

• mensplace
    14 years ago

I have found Cippolini in various markets across Atlanta, GA in a range of colors and sizes, most quite small, but others about four inches across. I haqve yet to find anything called potato onions, though in one book it was stated that potato onions, bunching onions and shallots are the same thing. True, or not, I don't know, but the Cippolinis that I see that are small are obviously quite young.

• ronnywil
    14 years ago

Here is a link to an onion farm that sells the plants. There is a picture of cippolinis.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures of cippolinis

• yugoslava
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks. I looked at the catalogue and it appears very much like the onions I saw there. It still didn't explain when or how to plant. Are there bulbils or do you plant the onion itself?

• promethean_spark
    14 years ago

cippolini are like regular onions, not shallots or potato onions. If you plant one, it will go to seed rather than divide into a bunch of cippolinis. This could be a way to get a lot of seed for next year, but around here a bag with half a dozen onions is something like $2.50 - might as well order a packet of seed. Onions from the store may be treated to prevent them from sprouting too, I've found shallots tend to be, but not garlic or elephant garlic. I haven't tried planting other alliums from the grocer.

I've only seen cippolini sold as plants or seed.

• yugoslava
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Actually the cippolinis I bought were about $5.49lb. It was a reason why I purchased them in the first place. I thought they looked quite beautiful. I was also curious to know why is there such a variance between onions even though they are all called cippolini.

• farmerdilla
    14 years ago

Cippolini refers to a type of onion ( A.cepa) which is small and flattened. one good alternate name is Italian Button Onion. There are at least 15 different varieties ranging from white to yellow to red. They are long day types, that are typically grown at 2-3 inch spacing. Otherwise culture is the same as for other standard onions. Can be used as a bunching onion, but are good storage onions also.

• yugoslava
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone! Garden Web is a place to learn and I learned from everyone who answered my question. Now since there is so much to learn about aliums there must be a book one could refer to.