Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenlad

Onion News

gardenlad
17 years ago

There a free newsletter just started up by Dixondale Farms. The monthly publication will feature growing information, stories shared by growers, new products, etc.

Highlighted in the first issue is a new long-storage red onion that I intend trying this coming season. It sounds like a real winner.

You can access the newsletter through the Dixondale site: www.dixondalefarms.com.

Comments (5)

• snider1946
    17 years ago

I assume you are talking about Red Bull. Some long day onions are more "long day" than others. Johnny's catalog suggests adaptation 43 -65 latitude. Many "long day" varieties say 38-50. It might work for you but I personally would be cautious recommending it for people as far south as you and I.

Robert

• gardenlad
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I reckon you're both right and wrong, Robert. Onions are day-length sensitive. But we may have overstated the case.

See my posts on the back pages about my experiments with long day length types.

So far I've only grown sweet varities, and that might be a variable. But this year I'm trying keepers, including the Red Bull and Copra to see what happens.

• gladofit
    17 years ago

i like Copra and Candy, but candy is a Seminis seed and Copra is an F-1 Hybrid. I am wondering if there are any OP storage varieties that i might grow instead? Some of us don't want the hybrids or Monsanto products.
    Thanks.

• gladofit
    17 years ago

Gardenlad,
    i just saw that Red Bull is also a hybrid, in case you didn't know that, too. I know that you've stated that you NEVER grow hybrids in your garden from your posts in other places? I also rarely do, but will when i cannot get otherwise.

• gardenlad
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Whoops! You're so right, Gladofit. I got as far as long-keeping red. Eyes lit up, and all critical judgement went out the window.

Well, I've already ordered them (and the Copra), so will make the best of it for experimental purposes.

There are lots of OP storage onions. But you'll likely have to grow them from seed; or get sets from specialty producers. I notice, for instance, that Jeptha Yoder is offering Bottle Onion seed through SSE. And I believe he still sells sets. The Bottle Onions keep about two days longer than forever, in my experience.

Trouble is, most seed suppliers (which certainly includes the SSE Yearbook) do not list day-length requirements. But with the yearbook you can at least get a clue based on where the grower lives.

Problem with SSE offerings, though, is that the yearbook comes out in February, and we set seed a month before that. So getting the seed in time can be awkward. You have to contact the listed grower now, explain the situation, and ask if he/she will provide seed before the new edition comes out. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner