Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jolj

Still have not planted garlic in S.C.

jolj
11 years ago

My DW was in a car wreck & had to have pins in her foot. I have to do everything for 8 weeks & it has put me behind

on planting Garlic & onions. I hope it is not too late.

Comments (7)

• wolverine1012
    11 years ago

So sorry to hear about the accident. It happened to me back in 2007 and I was off my feet for 9 months, so my wife was very busy.

We planted our garlic today and likewise hope that it is not too late. This fall has been very busy, though we don't have a good excuse like you do.

Hope you wife is feeling comfortable.

• stevelau1911
    11 years ago

You may be fine planting it as late as early spring.

I planted my last bed of garlic last year back in the latter part of January and still got full sized bulbs that way. As long as they can go through their dormancy cycle, they should be fine.

• scooter70
    11 years ago

You will be fine, i just put the rest of mine in yesterday as well. Always wait till the full moon in October, i was just to busy the last two weekends.
    Wolervine1012, where are you? i am in Dayton. If you are interested i have a couple hundred cloves of a Romanian Red softneck left over. Found out that my buddy's wife is in Italy & bringing some fresh garlic back this week so I Had to leave some extra room for that. If I don't find someone interested in planting then we will just eat (darn tragic), but I see you are in SW OH as well...
    Anyway, i am also going to experiment & put some in at the full moon in November, just to see if by waiting an extra month I still get close to the same size bulbs.

• scooter70
    11 years ago

You will be fine, i just put the rest of mine in yesterday as well. Always wait till the full moon in October, i was just to busy the last two weekends.
    Wolervine1012, where are you? i am in Dayton. If you are interested i have a couple hundred cloves of a Romanian Red softneck left over. Found out that my buddy's wife is in Italy & bringing some fresh garlic back this week so I Had to leave some extra room for that. If I don't find someone interested in planting then we will just eat (darn tragic), but I see you are in SW OH as well...
    Anyway, i am also going to experiment & put some in at the full moon in November, just to see if by waiting an extra month I still get close to the same size bulbs.

• scooter70
    11 years ago

Oh, Wolverine, by the way, it is organic. In fact in my backyard i do not use any mechanization nor do i even step on my garden soil. Its a long storing variety, in fact i found a baggie in a coat I hadn't worn in 9 mos.w/ some bulbs in it from July 2011...They weren't perfect but they got consumed...

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    11 years ago

jolj, I have planted garlic that I found sprouting in the fridge or on the counter, here and there almost every month of the year. Sometimes I forget where I put them though.

I have some growing in my yard where I used to have a greenhouse! I had to move the building that it was attached to years ago when I added a carport.

I am a messy gardener. But I have 10 acres to play with.

I always have a little place to stick them in the ground somewhere with a little scratching. They grow very well planting from August to Feb.

The March through July ones don't do so good, lots of green shoots and no bulbs.

• jolj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone.
    wertech, being in the same State helps a lot.
    Now that my son has his Eagle Pin, maybe I can finish up this weekend.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations