Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
micropropagator

Top sets from a dry onion set

micropropagator
17 years ago

What kind of onion is this?

I have been growing dry onions from sets for 70 years. Once a commercial set from a hardware store grew a 3-inch outstanding dry onion with topset bulbils. I mislaid it during harvest and it was dead when I found it a year later.

During August 2006 I found another grown from 4 pounds of commercial sets (from hardware store). The dry bulb is 2.1 x 2.1 inches nearly spherical, slightly pointed. There is 16 top sets (bulbils)3/8 by 1/8 wide (inches)The bulbils are pale green and very healthy. There was no flowers or seeds. The bottom bulb is superbly healthy Yellow.

I hope to preserve the bottom bulb and bulbils and propagate them. Then I will taste them. I plan to plant 6 bulbils this weekend; then save the bulb and 10 bulbils for spring planting.

Usually the yellow sets sold here are Ebenezer, but Ebenezer sets look different than the yellow sets sold this year. 90% of my 2006 harvest was rotted at harvest. I got 1/10 the usual yield from Ebenzezer. I searched Gardenweb archive and got no identification for my 2006 yellow topset onion. I am familiar with Egyptian Onion, but none of the uncommon onions grown by Martin, GardenLad, and other regular members on Allium Forum.

Comments (5)

• pnbrown
    17 years ago

Well, that's pretty strange, isn't it.

Pardon the absurb question, but there is no chance the bulbils are late-developing immature seed-heads? Because you say the bulbils are green and very small, whereas by this time of year one would expect them to be well-skinned and cured. It's hard to imagine how a bulbil of a top-setting onion would find its way into a commercial seed-propogated set-growing operation.

• coho
    17 years ago

I had this happen twice in 4 seasons. However, both times there were just 2 to 3 bubils and the rest seed bloom. Don't know what triggers it but expect that stress of some sort is likely. Since they are clones, the bubils will be the same as the original bulb. Still, would be worth keeping them separate and growing the bubils and bulb out and see if you continue to get bubils or seed next time. Let us know how it comes out.

• micropropagator
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Both times this happened in my garden the head of bulbils had no flowers. I have a PhD in genetics, but have not done any scholarly work with Allium. I will try to remember to Google using the Scholar version.
    The bulbils are in prime condition; not shriveled or damaged. Head is normal; not deformed. The first time, I think the sets were Ebenezer, but this time the grown onions are flatter than Ebenezer. I assume it is some contaminant in the commercial sets. First year I got sets from Jay C, a Kroger company, and in 2006 I got the sets from Haub Hardware which got the sets from Bunton Seeds of Louisville KY.

• pnbrown
    17 years ago

Is it possible for some 'wild' species of top-setting onions to infiltrate the onion fields of set-growers? That would explain it, though one would expect such a set to look fairly different from the others.

• micropropagator
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I may lose my topsetting yellow dry onion. Half the topsets have dried down so much, I fear they are dead. once they were 1/8 inch diameter, but now the smaller ones may be dead.
    What is the best way to save onion sets? I am contemplating.
    1. hang them in a superb damp root cellar that never freezes and is usually 35 to 45F.
    2. Plant some in ProMix BX in an growing box where I am growing cabbage plants and it has grown fine plants many years.
    3. Keep tham in the kitchen where they have been since July
    4. Plant them in garden which ranges down to 10F most years butgets below -10F 1/5 of winters.
    -------
    I planted some of the topsets in garden at Thanksgiving and I still have the original 2-inch diameter dry bulb and it looks sound, but has lost about 1/4 of its weight.
    Harold Eddleman

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living