Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donnabaskets

Somewhat disappointed

Donna
12 years ago

This is my first year to grow garlic for the bulbs. In the past, I have always grown it for the greens only and pulled it in the spring. I would just plant some cloves from supermarket garlic for this purpose.

So, I ordered Silverskin garlic and planted it last month. It's up and doing well. I had some smaller cloves left after planting so I have been using them in cooking. They are absolutely the exact same garlic I buy at the grocery store! Nothing wrong with them, but to me, homegrown should be special somehow...

Oh well, it's my first year, so it's not a big deal. But, Can you recommend something in a softneck that will be more distinctive for next year?

Comments (6)

• Mark
    12 years ago

Sorry you're disappointed. For what its worth, you probably don't find silverskin garlic in the grocery, it's probably California late. They're different varieties but still similar in many ways. Although there are many, many different types of garlic out there, taste-wise most fall within the 'kinda similar' label.
    I think if you want to try something really different you might consider some hardnecks, maybe one of the purple stripes.
    Rather than offering lots of suggestions, i'd recommend you check out the Gourmet Garlic website. They do a great job describing many varieties, hard and softneck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gourmet Garlic Gardens

• Donna
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That's a great website! Thank you!

• pvel
    12 years ago

Donna: I also have tried various 'gourmet' garlics and not found them to be that much different tasting. Nevertheless, I enjoy growing garlic, as there is not much else growing in the winter and I like watching it grow. I usually grow 3 or 4 different varieties, Maybe one day I will find one that grabs me.

• stevelau1911
    12 years ago

You may be surprised as many garlics can look very similar, especially the soft neck ones where there are hundreds of species that may look almost identical.

That's why I'm ordering some hardneck species to try out since they are supposively different from the ones you can get at the grocery store and have a distinctive taste as well.

• Donna
    Original Author
    12 years ago

After reading the Gourmet Garlic website, I think I will try to find some of the Creole Garlics next year. They sound intriguing. Don't get me wrong. I am not sorry I planted. I too, enjoy about anything that grows throughout the winter. I love gardening so much that I NEED something to putter around with this time of year. :)

• stevelau1911
    12 years ago

Might as well get a small sample now as garlic puts on some size after going through a dormancy period. I usually buy garlic in as small quantity as I can just to get the species as they get big fairly quickly.

I like how it takes almost no effort at all to grow thousands of garlic cloves over winter and there is always a use for garlic.

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH