Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomatonut

How should I water my garlic?

tomatonut
15 years ago

I tried asking this in another post and thought I would try again for an answer....

I just planted a bunch of cloves, but am not sure about how to go about watering them. Do I water regularly or leave them alone until the spring when leaves start to form? If I do water them, how much water do they like? I am working blind here and really appreciate any help you can give.

Comments (4)

• kristincarol
    15 years ago

Do you have any idea of how much rainfall your area gets in a year? If you get enough regular rainfall you probably don't need to water until you have dry conditions for several weeks. At least, that is how it goes for me.

We generally have a dry spell sometime in mid-winter and I water then if it stretches into 5 or 6 weeks. That is a good time to apply some water soluble ferts if you use that.

This fall was dry and I did water my cloves in after a couple of weeks when we still had no rain. Last year we had 7" of rain by this time and that was not necessary for me.

Don't be afraid to put your hands/fingers into the soil to see if it is moist or not. Really, only you can know what the plants need and you will need to learn that.

• tomatonut
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am in Florida so that means, for me at least, a dry fall/winter and very wet spring and summer. So the soil should be mildly wet or sort of dry? Thanks for the help

• michaelc0
    15 years ago

tomatonut,
    You are going to have leaves forming shortly, they won't wait till spring. If you have plenty of organic matter mixed into your soil to hold the moisture and you use mulch, you should not have to water to often.

So you have an idea of how much rain you can expect, Here is a link that gives the average rain fall per month for Central Florida. You can change the location with your zip code.
    http://weather.yahoo.com/Sanford-Florida-United-States/USFL0443/statistics.html

• tomatonut
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the help

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus