Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redsun9

How Many Varieties of Garlic Chives?

I'm not sure if there are specific varieties of the garlic chives. To me, some may have broader leaves than others. Or they grow to the climate and garden conditions.

I know that all garlic chives have grass like blades, not the hollow (onion type) leaves. It is very popular in Asian countries.

Comments (8)

• planatus
    9 years ago

Garlic chives are very easy to grow as long as you don't let them shed seeds -- they can be very invasive. I use the greens in cooking, and the white flowers that come in August (here with Sedum spectabilis) make great cut flowers and the bees love them.

The species produces white flowers, but Richters Herbs also has a selection that blooms mauve. I've never seen other colors, or named varieties.

• RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It seems some garlic chives have broader leaves,. Not sure if this is through culture practice, or varieties.

The best quality is broad and tender leaves.

• OldDutch (Zone 4 MN)
    9 years ago

Self sown volunteers of garlic chives are rugged and can even grow in sidewalk cracks and spread them. They do not pull out but must be dug out. The bees may also spread their pollen to other alliums that one might be wanting to save for seed, polluting that seed. Once you have them you will have a constant battle to keep them in check. I suspect they would make very good window sill herb pots though. IMO one variety is more than enough! (and that restricted to somebody else's garden - I wish I had never brought them into mine!)

One of those if you give them an inch, they will take your yard.

• RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Are you talking about garlic chives, or the wild garlic/chives?

I've never had problem with cultivated garlic chives. They are in my herb bed and well contained. I allowed them to set seeds if I want the seeds, or just cut off the seed pods. They are like daylily and we'll need to divide the clumps from time to time. I do not know how they can go wild if you do not allow them to set seeds.

The wild garlic/chive is another story. They are wide spread in farm land and go wild. Do birds spread the seeds?

• planatus
    9 years ago

Old Dutch is right. One summer I was away a lot caring for a sick family member, and the garlic chives didn't get dead headed. The next year there were seedlings everywhere.
    I like this plant, but it can't be trusted.

• RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

If you let the seeds spread, you'll create another wild garlic chive problem. But if you dead headed them and pull them, you can still get rid of them.

Same thing for all other tough perennials. Of course they are better than the dandelions and stilt grass, etc...

• KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago

They ward off rabbits and squirrels. You cut the leaves up and spread them around veggies or flowers that animals like to munch on.

• xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
    9 years ago

I have both the purple/pink chives and the white variety as seen in the photo above. I love the white variety as it blooms in the fall as other perennials and annuals are fading. They give a glorious splash of white to the flower garden and the autumn colors. Next year I'm deadheading sooner because I'm happy with what I have and don't want a monsoon of them!

Sponsored
Third-Generation Family-Owned Masonry Supplier in Virginia