Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woohooman

question regarding transplants

So far, I've only had success growing leeks and scallions. I've tried Utah Jumbo, but "Jumbo" they are not.

I have a variety of red and I've read that starting from sprouts is the way to go. So, I have a tub of sprouts about 10 in. long -- they're ready to go in the ground.

Let me try to get this right-- although I don't have dibble, I was going to use a pencil and poke holes 3 in. deep. Drop them in said holes and loosely fill with fine soil. Then trim the leaves to about 1 in. above surface.

Is that correct?

I've also read that they like Nitrogen. Is this true? I know they like Phosphorus, never heard they also like Nitro.
Should I be going heavy on the bone meal AND the cottonseed and/or regular feedings of fish fert. through the season?

Thanks.

Kevin

Comments (2)

• jean001a
    11 years ago

You wrote: "I've tried Utah Jumbo, but "Jumbo" they are not. "

That's because it's a long-day onion. You need a kind that's categorized as short-day.

To be successful with bulbing onions in your region, ask the nearby large garden centers what's the best kind to grow.

And/or contact the Master Gardeners at the San Diego Extension Service office. Find that office with this clickable map:
    http://www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/

Here is a link that might be useful: locate your county's Extension Service office

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jean001a:

I thought they were more of an intermediate-day. So, even if I grow Utah Jumbos in the SUMMER, they probably won't do well here?

Frickin' Home Depot! They're purchasers need to more "locale specific" when it comes to the seeds they order.

Thanks

Kevin

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County