Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
question regarding transplants

Posted by woohooman San Diego CA 10a (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 28, 12 at 23:11

So far, I've only had success growing leeks and scallions. I've tried Utah Jumbo, but "Jumbo" they are not.

I have a variety of red and I've read that starting from sprouts is the way to go. So, I have a tub of sprouts about 10 in. long -- they're ready to go in the ground.

Let me try to get this right-- although I don't have dibble, I was going to use a pencil and poke holes 3 in. deep. Drop them in said holes and loosely fill with fine soil. Then trim the leaves to about 1 in. above surface.

Is that correct?

I've also read that they like Nitrogen. Is this true? I know they like Phosphorus, never heard they also like Nitro.
Should I be going heavy on the bone meal AND the cottonseed and/or regular feedings of fish fert. through the season?

Thanks.

Kevin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: question regarding transplants

You wrote: "I've tried Utah Jumbo, but "Jumbo" they are not. "

That's because it's a long-day onion. You need a kind that's categorized as short-day.

To be successful with bulbing onions in your region, ask the nearby large garden centers what's the best kind to grow.

And/or contact the Master Gardeners at the San Diego Extension Service office. Find that office with this clickable map:
http://www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/

Here is a link that might be useful: locate your county's Extension Service office

o
RE: question regarding transplants

Jean001a:

I thought they were more of an intermediate-day. So, even if I grow Utah Jumbos in the SUMMER, they probably won't do well here?

Frickin' Home Depot! They're purchasers need to more "locale specific" when it comes to the seeds they order.

Thanks

Kevin

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here