Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ondrea_carina_leaf

Favorite Garlic dishes

ondrea_carina_leaf
18 years ago

I looked through and tried to find some of your favorite ways to eat your garlic and found a recipe here and there. It would be nice to have a list of all your favorites to copy off. I'm always looking for new ways to serve up a garlic dish. Please list yours.

Also what is the best way to freshen your breath after a big ole taste of garlic? Any secret recipe for that?

Comments (12)

• username_5
    18 years ago

There is no way to freshen breath after garlic as much of the odor is from the skin and stomach. Something funny I heard once is the best way to not have an offensive garlic smell is to get those around you to eat garlic too so they don't notice it ;-)

For my recipe I will start with something really simple: Garlic bread.

Any bread will do, but I like the sweeter white breads like Italian and French.

Boil the garlic until mushy soft, about 20-40 minutes. Mash it up.

Melt butter and add the garlic. Keep the ratio mostly garlic with a little butter.

Spread on toasted bread and enjoy.

Salt is optional, but not something I find necessary.

I like this because pretty much everyone likes garlic bread and this is both easy and a huge improvement on the typical garlic bread made with garlic powder.

• ondrea_carina_leaf
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oh darn I was hoping there was a herbal cure for garlic breath like chew on some parsley or something.

I think my favorite recipee is very simple too. Slice the top off the garlic and Drizzle Olive Oil on the entire clove of garlic. Wrap in foil and roast until tender and the olive oil starts to carmalize. Then squeeze out the soft warm garlic on toasted bread. Yum.

In case you have 26 cloves of garlic and want to use them up I have a wonderful Garlic SOup recipee to share. I'll post it if anyone would like it.

• username_5
    18 years ago

of course you should post your recipe ;-)

• AlliYum
    18 years ago

Here's my favorite garlic soup recipe:

1 large head garlic--cloves peeled and chopped
    1/2 stick of butter
    3 tablespoons flour
    3 cups chicken stock or canned broth
    cayenne pepper
    salt

Melt butter in heavy large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add garlic and sauté until golden, about 3 minutes. Add flour and stir until mixture is just golden, about 2 minutes. Add stock and bring to boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes. Season with cayenne and salt. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Reheat before serving.)

Serves 2

Simple but satisfying.

• username_5
    18 years ago

AlliYum you have a fiting username, Yum says it all with your recipe, I will have to try that one!

• username_5
    18 years ago

I just made the soup and boy is it good. The only thing I changed was I wanted more 'chunkiness' to the soup so I thinly sliced 2 medium onions ( doubled the recipe otherwise would have used 1) and tossed them in at the end and left them simmer for an additional 15 minutes.

I also added the cayenne during the simmering rather than to individual servings.

The end result is some serious soup loaded with nutritional goodness and packs a bite. Colds and flus wouldn't stand a chance against this ;-) After having a bowl I feel wide awake and energized. Good stuff.

• AlliYum
    18 years ago

Yes, I agree that adding cayenne during simmering is preferable to adding it during serving. Good of you to catch that.

• curryleaf
    18 years ago

Hi All,
    I'm going to try that garlic soup. Living in San Jose, we have an annual garlic festival in Gilroy every year. Maybe you can attend next summer. Some of my friends from India chew on a few cloves to keep their breath sweet. It does work so give it a try.

• SpoWa
    18 years ago

There are so many.... peeled and roasted in olive oil, then spread on bread like butter.
    I also will cut up a bunch of potatoes, an onion, a head of peeled, sliced, garlic and mix them together. add some spices, olive oil and bake. Great side dish!
    I like to keep a baggie of peeled garlic cloves in the fridge, ready to be added to whatever I am cooking.

• new2gardenfl
    18 years ago

Put enough olive oil in a small pot to cover the garlic and cook the cloves until soft. Scoop the garlic cloves out of the oil and spread on bread or however you like to use garlic. Allow the "Garlic Infused" olive oil to cool and store in a container for other uses.

• garotina
    18 years ago

I am a garlic lover as well :)!
    I make the garlic potage ( soup ) indeed, with the garlics, 1 head 2 heads ... onions, and veggie broth ... for extra thickness I add garden potatoes :) Put it through the food processor and VIOLA! .. serve it with some parmesan grated cheese ( optional) chopped parseley, or favorite garnish ... we make garlic bread, I love a nice fresh french baguette witha raw garlic rub! YUM YUM ... so organic :)!

• Chubasco
    18 years ago

Here is a quick EZ recipe for garlic toast. In a frying pan put in enough EVOO to cover the bottom. Toast your bread, I like sour dough french, until browned to your liking. Slice a clove of garlic and rub it on the toasted surface, both sides. This is quick EZ and delicious.
    Brent

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths