Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
good source?

Posted by amazindirt z6b? 7? mid-TN (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 19, 08 at 2:02

Hey guys --

What are your favorite sources for garlic?

I'd like to plant two or three types of garlic this year. Yes, I know spring is not the ideal time to plant -- but this is when the garden's going in.

I don't need anything terribly fancy or rare, just a good reliable source with a few different interesting types to try. Thanks in advance for any pointers!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: good source?

Hi Amazin,

These folks - Karen & Mike - are great to work with and price by the bulb:

http://www.wegrowgarlic.com

Like all garlic growers they are pretty much sold out by now, but they did put together 10 leftover bulbs for me just two weeks ago, so they may still have some in stock. If they have some softnecks or silverskins remaining they may hold till Spring.

Otherwise, if you buy in Spring, garlic will be very hard to find outside the local supermarket. Supermarket garlic usually works - plant the largest cloves from the largest bulbs and get them out as soon as the ground can be worked. Spring planted garlic produces smaller bulbs than Fall planted, but larger than none!

TomNJ

o

Thanks Tom! I will check them out.

I also located a farm up in KY, not too far from me -- Blue Moon Farms. I sent them an email last night, and they have already responded to me -- a good sign. They said they are still planting now, and still have small smounts of several types left. So I may be in luck. And I could probably get a bed ready to plant in the next week or so if I really needed to, so I may not have to store anything all the way to spring. We Shall See.

Thanks for your info!

o

That's great! There are a lot of people who plant as late as Christmas - depends on when your ground freezes. I would definitely get it in the ground as soon as you receive it, and turn in some high nitrogen fertilizer when digging the bed. Then cover the bed with a 3-4" layer of mulch to keep the ground warmer longer. If you don't get top growth by mid March you can always revert to supermarket garlic for a Spring planting.

TomNJ

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here