Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michaelc0

Shallot planting: How deep?

michaelc0
14 years ago

I picked up a few shallots at the grocery store to plant. How deep should they be planted?

Thanks, Michael

Comments (8)

• hortster
    14 years ago

I plant mine on a "hilled" row so that the tip is barely poking up through the soil surface.
    hortster

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

I plant them similar to HORTSTER, but just a bit deeper so that the tip is about half of inch in the ground.

Garlics and onions grow long vertical roots. Try pulling one somtime before maturity! It will be very hard to come out because of those deep root.

• promethean_spark
    14 years ago

I've tried 3 times (different stores) and never gotten grocery store shallots to grow. I believe they are almost universally treated to inhibit sprouting, either by spraying with plant hormones or radiation.

Also, store bought shallots are in all likelyhood grown from seed, rather than from divisions. You can purchase shallot seed yourself for the cost of some shallots at the grocers and give it a go with much better odds of success.

FWIW, I got elephant garlic at the same time I had the latest batch of shallots dud on me, and the elephant garlic grew.

• promethean_spark
    14 years ago

I've tried 3 times (different stores) and never gotten grocery store shallots to grow. I believe they are almost universally treated to inhibit sprouting, either by spraying with plant hormones or radiation.

Also, store bought shallots are in all likelyhood grown from seed, rather than from divisions. You can purchase shallot seed yourself for the cost of some shallots at the grocers and give it a go with much better odds of success.

FWIW, I got elephant garlic at the same time I had the latest batch of shallots dud on me, and the elephant garlic grew.

• michaelc0
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Finally! Two of my six shallots have sprouted. I planted them in a raised bed with onions and garlic. Just the tip of the shallots were left sticking out when planted.

• s.s.tupperware
    14 years ago

I have been having good results from ones bought from the fruit market on 434- 17-92. They have all kinds of cool stuff in there. It's where I get most of my seeds...

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

How deep to plant shallots, garlic cloves, onion socks?

There is a consideration for keeping the seed stock moist.
    Ther is a consideration that they do not need to be burried too deep(and should not)

So here is the method I have developed:
    Plant them deeper in raised rows.
    When they start forming bulb, remove the soil away, exposing the tip of garlics, and most of onions and shallots. Chances are you will get bigger bulbs and they will not rot.

• hortster
    14 years ago

It is wise to grow your own onions, garlic and shallots to assure that they are pesticide and growth inhibitor free. A good portion of the allium products that are offered at the big chains were grown and shipped from out of country, where they treat them with growth inhibitors to prevent them from sprouting and losing much of their potency. If you are having trouble with sprouting buy your initial seed stock from a reputable mail order company - you only need to do that once and you will have a lifetime supply!
    hortster

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!