Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
baygrower

GARLIC-no top shoots

baygrower
15 years ago

I have grown garlic last five years and planted a few weeks later then normal-Nov. 28.I do not have any top shoots, however i dug down and have roots.I covered with straw,will the shoots form in spring.

Comments (7)

• wcthomas
    15 years ago

Yes, no problem. You should start to see top shoots around the beginning of March.

I plant mine in mid-November specifically to avoid top growth. Ideally you just want to develop a root system before the ground freezes. While some top growth above the mulch is usually not a problem, I have had some damage in the past when too much top growth was exposed to a harsh winter.

This year I did an additional bed on December 14th! In spite of a colder than normal season so far, my soil temperature four inches deep is 40 degrees under the mulch. This is 5-7 degrees warmer than exposed ground outside the garden at the same depth.

TomNJ

• baygrower
    Original Author
    15 years ago

THANKS.NEEDED A JOLT OF CONFIDENCE.I HAVE DEFINETLY PLANTED TO EARLY IN PAST AND THE COLD WINTER REALY YELLOWED OFF MY SHOOTS.i FIGURED NO NEED TO HAVE FOOT TALL SHOOTS IF ROOTS HAD FORMED.MUCH APPRECIATED.

• bloosquall
    15 years ago

I agree with Tom 100%

TomNJ is a smart grower..listen to him.

• wcthomas
    15 years ago

Aw shucks, Travis. Can't hold a candle to you!

TomNJ

• david1948
    15 years ago

Garlic is a weed and will do just fine. If you are in an area that has snow, you will have to remove the mulch after the snow is gone or burn it in place to add nutrients to the soil and kill weed seeds. If tops are up it will not hurt to burn them. In any case leaving the mulch for any length of time will rot the bulbs. I know. I did that very thing. If you live in an area that you get a lot of rain, raised beds are the answer. Damp roots. Dry bulbs.

• bloosquall
    15 years ago

David,

I have a slight issue with your way of thinking. I'm in zone 6 S.E Washington, we get some snow here and it gets real cold for a month at least. I do agree with moving the straw after the freezing weather and snow but not getting rid of it.

What will keep the soil temps down when it gets up in the 90's or 104 degrees ? What is going to keep the soil moist so you don't have to water every other day if you don't put that straw back around the plants after they're up. I would rather bury the weeds in mulch/straw then be out there 2 hours a day watering and pulling weeds. The straw layer also keeps the soil softer and easier to dig the bulbs.

Here we get 18" of rain a year, I see you're also in zone 6..don't know what part of how much rain you get. For me putting the straw back to regulate things works very well

• wcthomas
    15 years ago

I leave my 3-4 inches of mulch in place from planting to harvest and get a 100% stand.

TomNJ

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH