Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilacs_of_may

Finally finished planting garlic

lilacs_of_may
16 years ago

This is better than I did last year. Last year I ended up planting three bulbs in spring, which didn't work that well. This year I got all of my garlic cloves in the ground. A rough estimate of all the cloves I planted is approximately 270. That's a lot to plant. Most of my beds are now given over to garlic. I have a bit of space at the end of one bed, and one small raised bed, that's free.

I don't think I'll ever have to buy seed garlic again.

Comments (3)

• robin303
    16 years ago

You make me feel better I have over 240 onions 10" high now and about 30 garlic. Neighbors think IÂm nutz.

• catherine_nm
    16 years ago

I was just planning to start this very thread. I called in sick on Tuesday because of an eye infection, but I was too healthy to stay inside. I had never planted my Asian Tempest this fall, and I found a bag of Martin's Heirloom bulbs, too, so they went out into last year's bean bed and the border that was supposed to have thyme in it, before I changed my mind. I'm trying to increase my Asian Tempest, so I planted a lot of topset bulbils in addition to the usual cloves. No real idea how many I planted. Then I covered the bed with about 4 inches of leaf mulch, and another 4 inches of pine straw (to keep the leaves from blowing away).

So that is two 3'x3' beds and a 1'x7' border of Martin's Heirloom, a 3'x7' bed of Russian Giant, and a 3'x7' bed of Asian Tempest. Oh, and a few shallots scattered around. Now I'll make my usual resolution to water more during the winter and spring so my garlic puts on a bit more weight than usual. I'm a chronic under-waterer, and the mulch can't cure that in this dry climate.

I'm planning to try leeks for the first time this coming year, so last year's potato bed is spoken for. Now I need to figure out where the peas and beans are going!

Catherine

• bloosquall
    16 years ago

Lilac, I've been thinking about you and your "moon dust" soil. I have been using horse manure to fluff up my clayish soil for a couple years now, that would be a great solution for you IMO. I believe it would add some texture to yours and retain some water.

I found a bag of 30 Metechi cloves that I had forgotten about outside, I looked in the bag to find roots growing from the cloves. hmmmm I thought and found a spot that is probably 80% horse poo. I made a trench 4" deep and planted those cloves carefully so the roots weren't all mashed down. Also found 12 elephant rounds or balls that are 2, 2-1/2" that were still in good condition for being left outside...I planted them too in the same poo mix.

My growing friend in Montana (crankycarlsgarlic) says either they will burn up or I'll have the greatest row of garlic ever. We shall see. I guess I'm also done planting now. Total of approx 5,200...by hand.

Bloosquall

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES