Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
douglas14_gw

Best storage onion for Minnesota?

douglas14
15 years ago

I'm contemplating either Copra or First Edition. One company mentions First Edition as being the "Best storage onion for the Midwest", while stating Copra as being best for the Northwest and Northeast. I wonder why the regional differences? Any others you would recommend?

Comments (2)

• TJG911
    15 years ago

i never heard of 1st edition but copra is listed as THE longest storage onion by johnny's of maine.

i pull my copra about 8/12, dry them in garden a week or 10 days then move them to my shed on racks where they dry until mid october. after that i trim the roots and leaves then store them in a 50# mesh bag in the basement where today it is 49 degrees. when the other onions are used i move the copra to the fridge in the basement that is 40 degrees. i read that onions store best at 37 degrees. i have had no sprouting with copra even after this WET summer (that is like calling a redwood a BIG tree) and in the past years virtually none sprout in storage. i have kept copra as late as the year after they were pulled - pulled in 8/2005 still good in 10/2006. copra is the storage onion imo. i start from seed and plant them 4" on center but in 2008 i tried 6" on center. they were slightly larger with the 6" spacing.

tom

• douglas14
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Tom, for the very helpful post.

Sponsored