Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Climbing Onion

Posted by peonyman (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 24, 10 at 20:15

About 6 months ago a friend gave me a single climbing onion bulb (Bowiea volubilis). It had a short 'vine' on it at the time. It has since gone through a dormant period and has been in leaf for about a month. A few days ago I thought that one of the leaves was shrivelled and twisted but I saw today that it was getting longer. It is a new vine. Since the first few leaves appeared to be standard onion leaves I assumed that I would not vine.

Leon

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Climbing Onion

Leon,
I've had climbing onions for over 40 years; they are really neat plants. The only "leaf-like" leaves you'll see are the ones coming from the young bulb. As the plant matures, the basal leaves become tunicated and succulent to form the bulb (just like the BASES of the leaves are in typical onions). What you have growing is the stem which will form the vining showy part of the plant, therefore, "climbing" onion. This stem will do best if you provide it something to climb on, otherwise it will sprawl until it finds something to climb. As the stem matures, 1/4 - 3/8" greenish flowers will form at the ends of some of the stems. The mature leaves on the climbing stem are tiny and scale-like(the stem and bulb leaves do virtually all of the photosynthesis); you'll find them at the nodes of the stems (look just below where a stem branches off from another).
Good luck, Genepaul
PS: They like a rather dry, dormant period after flowering, so when the stems start to yellow, flowers or no flowers, stop watering for a few months. Also the bulbs should have only their lower portion below soil level - provide well drained soil, and do not bury the bulbs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here