Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Onions rotting from the inside

Posted by wolverine1012 6 SW OH (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 10, 12 at 21:59

I grew Candy, Copra, and Redwing onions this year. The Candy and Redwing each had a relatively short shelf life, as expected. The Copra, however, are supposed to be better keepers. What we have seem to be holding up relatively well--little sprouting and fairly solid. However, when you cut into them the insides are rotting with usually only a layer or two, on the outside, that is any good.

Any ideas as to what is causing the problem? Any way to prevent next year?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Onions rotting from the inside

When onions are drying down their necks shrink first to keep pathogens out while they cure. If something (like moisture) gets in carrying bacteria, it can slowly rot them from the inside.

I vaguely remember that your onions got soaking wet while they were drying? If so, this could be the cause.
If not, i'm remembering wrong. There could be another problem like the tops were clipped before completely dry or the onions were bolted?

o

Madroneb-

Good memory!! I did have some onions get drenched while they were drying, but not these.

However, my wife did insist on clipping the tops "to save space." I'll go with that. Next year I'll take the shears away from her.

o

MY candy are keeping the best in 20yrs. I think it is because of the dry weather all yr.and they seem to be a little stronger tasting than normal. I have no idea how short your wife clipped yours but I clip mine a good 1\2 inch above the bend. By this time last yr. I had onions sprouting bad , to date I've had two sprout in a bu.&1\2
IMO the weather has more to do with growing and keeping onions than any thing. YOPPER

o

Yopper-

I think that the problem is that she clipped them before they were fully dried. She seems to want to trip off the tops, leaving about 2" as soon as we bring them in from the garden-"We don't want this part anyway and it just takes up room." Then, after they dry, she'll trim to about 1/2-1"

o

I have candy onions hanging in my basement now and they are fine. When I purchased them last summer they had at least a 2" stem on each one. I was told to hang them up in the basement, not touching which I have done. They are really looking good. When I need an onion, I just go down into the basement and clip one off my string. They don't show any sign of decay.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here