Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fredder_gw

Selling Garlic at farmers Markets

fredder
15 years ago

Hello,

I wanted to get some ideas about what every gets for garlic.

Things like price, how much and for how much.

What types sell the best. also braded or by the bulb or clove.

Just mainly any advice you can give, I'm just starting out so thanks a ton,

Fred

Comments (11)

• gallaure
    15 years ago

In Hollywood, I have seen California Early garlic running at 3 heads/$1.

In the valley (still Los Angeles County), my garlic guy sells his heads at 2/$1 with scape, leaves, and dirt still attached, bulbils still semi-immature. I'm not sure what variety it is, but I think it's a creole of some sort.

I'll keep an eye out and post back.

• kristincarol
    15 years ago

Most of the garlic at the farmers market I frequent goes for $6.00 per pound. That would be loose bulbs. If it is braided it goes for more.

I did see one vendor offering her garlic for $1/head, but it was teeny-tiny and would have amounted to about $20 per pound if she had sold it by the pound. Why the inferior product cost more than the superior ones I don't know.

The $6.00 stuff was beautiful and large and there was no contest when it came to whose I would buy.

• fredder
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks a ton for the info.

I have planted some this year and would like to sell it one day at a farmers market. I got some local and have begun to plant it.

For me it is mostly a timeing thing. I just have so much to do that it will take time before I ever get it to market.

Gallaure,

What farmers markets do you go to. I'm a little north of you. I would be very interested to know.

You can e mail if you want.

Thanks a ton all. It is very nice to get answers to my post.

F

• gallaure
    15 years ago

Fredder -

there are a ton of markets that I hit. I'm in Woodland Hills. I go to the one on Sunday in Encino weekly (near corner of White oak & Victory by the dog park). they just started pretty good ones in Woodland Hills and Sherman Oaks. the big one is Wednesday a.m. in Santa Monica, but the same city has 3 or 4 a week!

The Hollywood one on Sunday (Hollywood Blvd, not far south of the 101. Very near Popeye's chicken.) is big too, with some excellent and unusual variety - just be prepared for droves of the artfully coiffed and rocker-than-thous.

Those are my main markets, but this area has dozens! I love it! :D But there's not enough garlic. :(

• fredder
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Gallure,

Really I had no idea there were that many farmers markets.

Is there a list where you can find out where they all are.

Also on your early post of how much the garlic sells for, which market do you buy at. Meaning like 2 bucks a head at this one etc.

I ask this becasue I never see garlic for sell at farmers markets but I also never knew there were so many.

Thanks a ton,

F

• garlicman2
    15 years ago

Travis@bloosquall,thanks for the plug and compliment.When considering price pay attention to what the competitors are selling for and adjust your price up or down according to quality.In a price war everybody loses.I have a high base price for those who just want to buy a bulb or two and any sales over two pounds[I have a $30 minimum] and give a 20% instant discount(its easy to figure in your head) which encourages larger sales.Most large sales occur during planting season[sept.-nov.] with most sales in Oct.If you overproduce your market demand,which is easy to do,you will have unsellable stock no matter how cheap or awesome it may be.I have a box of mixed varieties at a cheap price some are small(2"minus),broken bulbs,highly irregular shapes and just plain ugly.I sell basically two sizes-2"-21/2"planting grade and 21/2"-3"gourmet grade same price.More than a half dozen varieties leads to consumer confusion.KISS-keep it simple stupid.I had 16 varieties this year and am cutting back by a third and also overproduced the market-left over stock.Sales $10-15k.Grew 12,000 bulbs,10k sellable this year and cutting back to 10k planted and hopefully 9k sellable.Some new varieties just did not perform/disappointing.My Spanish Roja outsells and outperforms everything I grow and that goes for the other vendors also.I have the highest and lowest prices in the market.I planted 6k Roja last year and about half were gourmet size.Most consumers will buy the largest bulbs;big sells and junk will break you.
    Guru Engeland claims its difficult for a grower to surpass 1500 pounds of hand-crafted garlic and I would totally agree.You have to keep 200-300# for planting.So you will probably end up with 1000# of quality bulbs.At 8 bulbs to the pound avg.you will have to plant 12k+bulbs;lots of work and preplanning. A 1000# at $6 pound will give you a gross of 6k now deduct expenses(fertilizer,marketing,etc.)
    You figure it out.You would probably make more money standing on a street corner with a sign saying,"WILL WORK FOR FOOD".I been selling and growing garlic for 15 years and have been insulted and praised but I'll be damned if I'm gonna work for nothing.There is no competition with junk and agri-garlic.Be proud of your product,grow the best.Yeah,I still have garlic for sale.Van Foeken Farm

• david1948
    15 years ago

I totally agree with garlicman. I started with 7 varieties and 7k plants. Now I'm at 4 varieties and 4k plants in the same space. 1/10 acre. I'm trying to improve quality and not have any left over the winter. You get insulted when people say they buy at 1.25-1.50 for commercial california garlic, while you sell premium hardneck with 10 times the flavor and character of cal garlic for $6-$9. I know Engeland personally. Read his book. Every other garlic grower has. As far as the farmers market goes, search out your own markets and avoid retail if you can. Not as profitable but a lot less time and work. 8 hours in a farmers market can be better spent weeding, or "begging on a street corner". Finally, If you grow a premium product and develope a loyal following of customers whom love your product it is really rewarding and $4-$5 is a fair price for not having to store garlic over the winter and be insulted at farmers markets.

• david52 Zone 6
    15 years ago

Although I don't sell any where near the scale you guys do, I've found a small decent niche selling Music, with the distinct 4 - 5 large cloves. I get $1.50 a piece, and at our small, 10 - 15 vendor, 1 day a week markets, It's good for $30 - 50 a day. Other folks grow and sell garlic, but I sell more of it, and make more money at it.

Which, along with selling all the other stuff in the stand, makes it worth while to grow.

• yangguangselina_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

We are one of the leading exporter of garlic in China. we keeps expanding our business in
    Asia, Europe, Middle-east and South America. Our products have been exported to more than 30
    countries. We have established friendly business relations with many famous importers,
    wholesalers and manufacturers world wide.
    Our company enjoys high reputations. We are well known for our high quality, competitive
    price, timely shipment and favorable trade terms.
    Honesty and efficiency are our business philosophies. With our high quality products and
    superior service,
    we want to become your reliable and long-term supplier for garlic, apples, pear
    ,onions,gingerand other special crops. We are sure both of us could benefit from the
    cooperation!

Here is a link that might be useful: Chinese fresh garlic

• HU-8920611182213189
    5 years ago

Hello, I'm looking for information on where to sell.my garlic. I have Elephant, Romanion red, and a few other types. It's beautiful... But I'm prejudice too. I grew it at my Daddy's farm that I inheirted. No pesticides no insecticides . Seriously, all I did was planted it. Apparently the government owns the "organic", word! Anyway... any help.or advice you can give this country girl from Harrison Tennessee would so much be welcomed. Thank you! My email is phyllishickman4@gmail.com.

Sponsored
Third-Generation Family-Owned Masonry Supplier in Virginia