Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cranebill

NARGS membership

cranebill
16 years ago

Greetings,

I'm disappointed in the benefits of my NARGS membership (new member). There's no access to Rock Garden Quarterly Bulleting (summaries only to members and non-memgers alike, the promised seed exhange list is now overdue, and also noted that a significant number of the links to other members' gardens lead only to their commercial catalogs (which seems a little bit of a sneaky exploitation of the NARGS mission). Also, as others have noted, the seed exhange list is now late, and not delivered by now as the website suggests it should be.

I'd love to hear other members' views, positive or negative.

Comments (14)

• naturemitch
    16 years ago

Hi all,

Guess i would like to put my two cents in too. I have had no problems with the journal getting to me, nor resubscribing, or in getting my seeds.

The biggest issues i probably have are communication issues. It is disappointing to have a pretty static internet site. I very rarely go there, because i know nothing much is happening...but i can say this of this forum too...it is fairly quiet. I jump quickly to the SRGC or Alpine l site instead. It would be fantastic to have a more interactive Nargs site.

Also, i have had problems with getting answers back through emails. In fact i am still waiting word back from them on the delayed seed exchange list. It is great i can get answers about who did or didn't get their seed lists through gardenweb or alpine-l, but shouldn't our organization be getting this info to us as well? Even a posting on the Nargs site would be very helpful...telling us about delays or problems. I might add though, that Joyce Fingerhut has been fantastic with email help on the overseas permit scenario....but I try to send my emails out to who I think is able to answer them best, and then dont' receive any answer:( (i sure don't want to bother joyce with everything).

And yes i know we are looking at volunteers and a massive undertaking with the seed exchange....but my xmas list would have the nargs site becoming more interactive...and yes that takes all of us:)

m

• abgardeneer
    16 years ago

The seed list is available on the NARGS website.

• leftwood
    16 years ago

I can't say why, but I have always recieved my seed list in the mail 1.5-2 weeks later than the first U.S. people. I always assumed that earlier members and donors had "dibs", and felt it was right. Or maybe it's because my last name begins with R. LOL

On the NARGS site it clearly states (as it always has):
    The Seed List is mailed to all current members by the end of December.

So if, say, it was mailed on Dec 31, and you're disappointed that you haven't received it by the morning of Jan 5 (your post) with a Sunday and a holiday in between, well, in my opinion that's just not the spirit that plant societies are built on. Your claim that it is not delivered by now [Jan 5] as the website suggests it should be is unfounded. Because other years have been earlier is not a cause for alarm. I applaud your zeal for alpines, but a 3-4 day delivery time would not have been something I would call overdue.

At any rate, now that it says right on the NARGS site that the list was sent out on Jan 4, surely there must be no feelings of resentment. And perhaps that is the answer to Naturemitch's email about the delayed list too - on the site.

It's great that you have suggestions for a better Society. And communicating them to people involved would be certainly be appreciated. But if personnel aren't there to make it happen, please don't expect results.

I recall a mention of being a new member. So are you really entitled to read all the back issues that other members(not you) have paid for and contributed to over the years? Obviously a wonderful perk if and when it happens. But to be disappointed about something that was never promised is, again, not in the spirit of plant societies. I can be almost positive they are looking for an archivist to put back issues on line right now. Perhaps you could volunteer?

Rick

• cranebill
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hello again,

I had been expecting to be chastized for making "public criticisms," and I logged on with a bit of trepidation regarding possible respones. The fact is that I did feel somewhat mean-spirited after I posted, considering the tremendous volunteer effort involved and the high-minded gardening mission of NARGS.

But Rick, I don't think I've been so unreasonable in anticipating ONLINE access to the Quarterly; other periodicals, including the AHS's American Gardener and a number of others to which I subscribe, routinely provide subscribers with electronic access to online archives. I do think the NARGS website is misleading in this regard, not by commission but by ommission. The description of membership benefits on the homepage, together with the pre-membership access to past Quarterly content summaries, did suggest to me that an archive does exist and that members have access. And if, as you rightfully point out, NARGS is not a commercial organization, why then would it matter whether or not newer members get "entitlement" to the Quarterlies other members have paid for? It seems to me that such a benefit to members, whether veteran members or new ones, would also help to advance interest in rock gardening and hence also the mission of NARGS. (Within the context of NARGS being a non-commerical organization, I remain skeptical of the motivations of those members whose "garden" links only lead to their commercial enterprises.)

naturemitch, I also have been frustrated by the communication issues and lean website content that you noted, and would also wish for improvements. And Rick, although I feel as if I haven't got room for one more thing in my life, I had already been considering volunteering as an archivist. Your comment has strengthened my resolve to do it!

By the way, I received my seed exchange list two days ago and I'm utterly astonished at how extensive it is and the number of rarities that are offered! The list is far surpasses anything I'd been expecting, and it's evident to me I wouldn't be able to find sources for most of the offerings aywhere else. I've been inspired to do a lot of research before making my selections, so the list will help me in my learning process. Anyway, it seems that the seed exchange alone is worth the cost of membership.

Thank you for sharing positive opinions and experiences concerning other NARGS benefits and its quality of service to members. It's impressive how you have all been so emphatic in your defense of NARGS.

• leftwood
    16 years ago

Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion.

I am so glad you're enjoying the seed list! I too have spent many hours researching species each year. Now that you have received the booklet so quickly (compared to me in other years), I wonder when I would have received it this year. As it is, I got it in the mail the same day as you, but I thought it was because I am a seed donor this year. Be sure to fill out all the boxes when you order. Many will be in short supply.

I am tickled to death that volunteering has already crossed your mind! Our Minnesota Chapter will be executing a phase of next year's exchange. I was heavily involved with it about 10 years ago too, when one Chapter did the entire task. It was a LOT of work, but a LOT of fun too.

Rick

• janeeditorial
    15 years ago

Perhaps the new NARGS member joined too recently to receive the fall Rock Garden Quarterly, which announced that the seed list would be on line for downloading, and would be mailed only to those who specifically requested a printed copy. There was also a change in Executive Secretary at this juncture, which may have meant some loss of follow-up for those who joined in late fall 2008.

The current NARGS website is due to be replaced this spring, we hope in March 2009.

Offering journal articles for download on the website has been discussed, as has producing a CD of the entire run as the Scottish Rock Garden Club did, but until now the cost of scanning has been prohibitive. I have just suggested that only articles most likely to interest readers be scanned and made available.

Back issues, especially from recent decades, may be purchased from the NARGS Book Service on the website. A cumulative index to volumes 1-66 is just being completed and will be posted on the new website. In the meantime, specific inquiries can be sent to the editor (me).

Jane McGary

• in ny zone5
    15 years ago

(I notice that previous posters commented in January 2008, now it is 09)
    I just rejoined NARGS again, received promptly the last Rock Garden Quarterly, which also contained a bulletin explaining changes and where to find the seed list on the web site. I enjoyed the R.G. Quarterly, and had no problem ordering seeds from the seed list.

Now I am waiting for my packs of seeds to grow rock garden plants, all thanks to the volunteers who make this possible.

Bernd

• sharont
    15 years ago

Has anyone received their seed order from NARGS to date this year? I know the cut off date to submit order was February 11th. I had mailed it (my order) in late December. Curious as I ususally have received them by now and I did read on the seed instruction site they would be mailing out seeds in January as well as February.

• in ny zone5
    15 years ago

Yes, I received my seed packs around February 4, after I mailed in my order January 15 - a very fast response. I planted those a week ago and have already my first tiny seedlings of Drabas, penstemons, silene, veronica.

I live in NY state. Perhaps your seeds have to go through some permits because you live in Canada, which slows things down.

• leftwood
    15 years ago

Sharont, I am a member of the MN chapter that distributed the seed orders this year. Just for other people's benefit the Feb 11 date was that last receive date, not the submit date. (I realize this doesn't apply here.) Anyway, foreign orders get priority, and you order should have been filled and sent quite a while ago. We have finished filling all the orders we had, and the seed has been sent to the next group of volunteers that will be handling the second orders from surplus seed.

Our Chapter seed exchange chair keeps records of all orders received and sent. If you would like to contact me through my GW page (click on my name[Leftwood] above), I can give you my real email address, and you can send a note to our seed distribution chair to me, and I will forward it to him (and copy you). We should be able to resolve this to the best of our ability, if we act quickly.

• sheltieche
    15 years ago

I downloaded my list on Dec 15 and sent it on Dec 16. I got my seeds right after New Year and successfully planted them already. I am not a donor.
    Waiting for second round, hopefully it will come pretty soon.
    Some societies are pretty static as far as update of technology/ due to various reasons/ so having this year list downloadable on line is great news to me and seed exchange makes up for any inconvenience you might have.

• sharont
    15 years ago

Thanks for replying all. Leftwood, I did inquire by email to the Intake Manager who sent on my question to a lady (name withheld) in Minnesota, I beleive. My seed order was filled & sent out January 20 so we are presuming it ended up in Canadian Customs. The local Post Office says if that is indeed what happened to the package, I may or may not receive it..now totally at their discretion! This is the first time a package of seeds ordered from NARGS or any other seed house has gone missing!

• sheltieche
    15 years ago

bummer with customs...
    have had very unpleasant experience with those ...
    even if paperwork is ok and everything is tip top, had cases where seeds will sit on somebody table for 2 months before reaching me...
    no good at all... stopped ordering overseas unless I know they will avoid customs...