Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rcharles234

Planting bed along stone wall

RCharles234
11 years ago

Hello,

I'm new to this site and not sure where this question should go. I have a new stone retaining wall, 3-4 ft high, with a 2' wide bed at the bottom. The wall is maybe 35ft long.

I need to plant the bed and was thinking of ever blooming day lilies. It faces south with full sun. I think the daylilies would look better if interspersed with a taller, green plant, say, an evergreen of some sort.

But I'm new at this and would love to hear other ideas. For example, would heather work in this spot?

Thanks!
Ray

Comments (4)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

Welcome Ray. Where in zone 6 are you (not all zone 6s are alike). What were you you leaning towards in the bed at the top? This would help folks with ideas for the bottom.

tj

P.S. There is also a Conifers Forum and Landscape Forum you might tap into.

This post was edited by tsugajunkie on Wed, Jan 30, 13 at 19:44

• RCharles234
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hello tsugajunkie and thanks for the suggestions. I live in Easton, PA at the junction of the Delaware and Lehigh Rivers. Easton PA is in USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to 0F

As for the upper bed, I'm a beginner there as well. For this season I expect it will be some permanent perennials and some annuals, with the goal of getting some color for this first season. I also plan to have some herbs at the far end, closer to the deck which, BTW, will be expanded six feet out in the Spring.

If it is easier or a better approach, I would welcome suggestions for coordinated plantings in both areas. Let me note that there is a fabulous view from the patio out over the top bed and wall, so plantings on top cannot exceed two feet in height at the very most and a bit shorter would be better.

Ray

• freki
    11 years ago

Heather (calluna) likes regular water, but mine came through last year's near drought with minimal care. There may be an issue with summer heat. If it is too hot, a heath (erica) may be better.

Also suitable: lavenders, thymes, yarrows, iris, rue, some of the smaller roses, english box, perennial flax, perennial poppies....

It really depends on whether you want something formally structured or a more subtly structured "cottage" look. More shrubs, or more herbaceous perennials? Full sun gives you a lot of choices

oh, let me recommend praestans tulips, either Fusilier or Unicum. Very early, very bright & naturalize easily.

• achnatherum
    10 years ago

I have a 'negative' suggestion ....
    We just put in 200ft of stone wall, a bit like yours last year. I replanted the bed below the wall with Panicum virgatum 'Rehbran'. That's what was there when the wall was wooden ties. I'm going to take out every other plant this spring because ...... Although the Panicum looks fabulous, it hides the pretty wall.
    So learn by my mistake - plant only a few tall things, if any, in the lower bed, Medium to low would be much better. And .... if your wall is 'dry fit', think about looking for a few plants that would be happy growing out of the cracks. Btw, LOVE your wall!!

Sponsored
COLAO & PETER Luxury Outdoor Living
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
VA, MD, and DC's Award-Winning Custom Pool Builders | Best of Houzz