Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yroux

Lewisia cotyledon

yvan
9 years ago

I have Lewisia cotyledon Elise since two years: I already posted a pic of them in GardenWeb (july 2013). For the first winter I transplanted them from the pots to the garden in october and many survived the winter, but I had to clean the collar of many of them in may 2014 and I put them back in the pots. They were again very beautiful last summer. Last fall, I left them outside in the pots close to the house (to avoid soil humidity).

Question 1 - Was it a good idea to leave them in the pots for the winter? It was very cold last week (-25C or -13F), will they survive? Does the cold temperature affect more a plant if you leave it in the pot?

Question 2 - Are Lewisa cotyledon long lived perennials or short lived perennials?

Comment (1)

• slotcar8
    9 years ago

In pots, plants will be subjected to repeated freeze-thaw cycles and will probably not survive. Lewisia should remain in the ground in well-drained soil. For added protection, you can hill up more soil or mulch around the crown, or even cover with a dry mulch such as straw. Choose a location where snow melts the soonest so they will not sit in damp conditions in the spring. In early spring, remove the mulch if it is damp. I rake off the mulch in early April, fluff it so it dries out, and replace it again until the threat of hard frosts is over.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor