Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michael_in_chicago

anyone with minuartia verna caespitosa in their garden?

michael_in_chicago
20 years ago

I'm getting conflicted info about its hardiness. Is it hardy in z5? I'm also having difficulty finding it on the web. Any hints?

Comments (3)

• safariofthemind
    20 years ago

NC State rates it to zone 6 http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/consumer/factsheets/groundcover/minuatia_verna.html.

Irish moss is rated by most sources as zone 6 but it depends on how you grow it. In a south facing situation, with good drainage next to a nice big rock or wall I'd give it a shot in zone 5. THEN you could tell us what happpened!

RJ

• nagamaki
    20 years ago

Even though we're z6, last winter temperatures hovered along z5 degrees much of the time. The Irish moss emerged just fine planted on the N side of the house above a rock wall, in part shade. This winter is even colder than last, but I suspect the deep snow is offering good protection.
    It is sheltered by a second wall from year round wind. We even have strawberry plants growing nearby and they're not supposed to survive outside of the house around here. The bottom line is try it and see. Try yahoo and google search engines.

• janetfinchley_gmail_com
    12 years ago

I too was surprised, delighted, to find minuartia alive and well after a long snow blanket, perhaps the snow kept it alive, I have it planted close to bricks, facing east. trying to start a Camomile lawn, two types of camomline..tag says they are the same, not true, one very short, one rather tall...J.F.

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists