Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paulns

Armeria maritima

paulns
20 years ago

I've been babysitting this plant for my sister for four months and it has just about had the biscuit. It is her pride and joy. She picked it up while sailing down the coast (the intercoastal waterway?), kept it growing in a pot of what looks like dirt (as opposed to potting soil) for about two years, gave it to me to babysit and took off to sail down south again. I've never grown it before. I have it with my other plants, under lights, in a warm room. More water, less water seems to make no difference. Fertilizer? Dormant period? Short-lived anyway? She said it had bloomed once.

Comments (2)

• safariofthemind
    20 years ago

This is an outside plant. Perennial in your zone, it can be grown in a pot buried in the soil up to its rim or in a trough protected in winter. It would not like being inside and warm as it needs rest. Here's a link to a culture sheet. RJ

Here is a link that might be useful: Armeria culture

• paulns
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Safari, thanks! It's too late to put anything in the soil outdoors (frozen, snow) so I've put the plant in a very cold room and will ignore it, hope it comes back in spring.

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists