Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pyralis42

Chicks & Hens Help

succulentlover
17 years ago

Hello Everyone :)

I moved into my first house about 2 years ago. The first year I got some C&H's and planted them in the soil. I found that although they seemed to do well in the summer, come the fall the heavy winds blew them out of the ground. This year I decided to try something different, so I dug up my small alpine area and mixed the soil with some broken pumice and sand. I was told that the pumice would help with drainage and the sand would help hold the roots in the ground when it was wet.

They did great during the summer, even better then the year before. But this year it seems that a lot of them are dying. We had a lot of rain in the fall and the leaves came down much sooner and faster then normal. So I was thinking that maybe the combo of leaf cover and rain could have done this. I've gotten the majority of leaves out, but the small stuff left is hard to blow out because the C&H's tend to blow out with them.

Should I use a different soil mixture? Should I used mainly rocks and if so, what size is best? I keep reading how these plants will grow inbetween rocks. I do have some other plants as well in the same area like Ice Plants and other Alpines (I forgot their names).

There are a few pictures below, before and after, of two of the biggest C&H I had. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance

Ross

{{gwi:369749}}

{{gwi:369750}}

{{gwi:369751}}

{{gwi:369752}}

Comments (6)

• leftwood
    17 years ago

It looks like they are suffering from an overabundance of water and lack of light. When leaves curl back on themselves (and pale in color), it a sign of one or both. Sandier soil and or less watering will encourage deeper or at least longer roots for a better foothold. Pea gravel is a good mulch for them. If falling leaves will be a perennial problem, you could plant them on little hummocks of soil, shored up by rocks. When leaves fall, the little mounds will stay uncovered. It could give a lot of interest to an otherwise flat garden too.

• succulentlover
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions Leftwood. Unfortunately some of them get a good amount of water when it rains. That area seems to be at the bottom of an unnoticable very small valley between my rose bushes and my main garden.

Your idea of making soil mounds sounds great!! I am definitly going to give it a try. Not only will it hopefully help them live, but I agree it will look at lot better.

Thanks again

• shapiro
    17 years ago

Dear Succulent Lover: In the invaluable little book titled: 101 Essential Tips for Cacti and Succulents published by DK, it says that raised beds and sloping mounds are an ideal way to plant succulents and cacti. Choose soil that is free-draining and add even more small rocks and coarse sand to improve drainage. Hens & Chicks and all other succulents can't stand to be in any standing water. It's OK if it rains, but the moisture must drain away as fast as possible.

I grow mine in troughs made of hypertufa, the troughs have large drainage holes in the bottom and I raise them above the ground with two or three bricks. This way, no water stands in contact with the roots for any length of time.

Hope this helps, good luck!

• dzs1945
    17 years ago

Is that booklet still available???? " 101 Essential Tips for Cacti and Succulents published by DK"

• Carmen Lopez Reimer
    8 years ago

My hens and chicks no longer are rose shaped. They have elongated some over 6 inches. What to do?

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    8 years ago

Best to start you own post, but it sounds like they are getting ready to flower.

Post your question with pix here. It is a more active forum.

tj