Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sharont_gw

Winter Survey - Survival of alpines in Plunge Bed

sharont
17 years ago

With relatively no snow so far this fall & winter I am curious as to the survival rate of alpine, shrub and regular garden perennial seedlings in a plunge bed.

I'm hoping there will be others who will be as concerned & wish to post in spring what did or did not survive without snow cover!

We usually have a foot at least by now and three feet of snow cover for the months of Jan, Feb & Mar.

My plunge bed is course sand so drainage is good.

sam

Comments (2)

• naturemitch
    17 years ago

Hi Sam,

I too am looking and wondering about my plunge bed. We have had some snow cover, but it is here again, gone again. We have had an extreme amount of rain...and when I look at all those pots in my bed I just wince. Some pots are just frozen, some have a bit of ice on them, while others have an inch of frozen water on them.

My bed is sand too, with an added layer of rock on the bottom for drainage....so i know the drainage is good, but??? I will certainly report back, and in the meantime hope all my babies out there are hanging in there:)

m

• sharont
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Reporting back about survival rate in a plunge bed.
    Eventually we had plenty of snow cover and I am pleased to see green pushing through. Incarvillea mariel v. grandiflora did not make it..a dead little stock noted! I was so hoping to see this in bloom ):
    Sam