Return to the Alpines & Rock Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Winter Survey - Survival of alpines in Plunge Bed

Posted by sharont z5 can (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 1, 07 at 23:24

With relatively no snow so far this fall & winter I am curious as to the survival rate of alpine, shrub and regular garden perennial seedlings in a plunge bed.
I'm hoping there will be others who will be as concerned & wish to post in spring what did or did not survive without snow cover!
We usually have a foot at least by now and three feet of snow cover for the months of Jan, Feb & Mar.
My plunge bed is course sand so drainage is good.
sam

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Winter Survey - Survival of alpines in Plunge Bed

Hi Sam,

I too am looking and wondering about my plunge bed. We have had some snow cover, but it is here again, gone again. We have had an extreme amount of rain...and when I look at all those pots in my bed I just wince. Some pots are just frozen, some have a bit of ice on them, while others have an inch of frozen water on them.

My bed is sand too, with an added layer of rock on the bottom for drainage....so i know the drainage is good, but??? I will certainly report back, and in the meantime hope all my babies out there are hanging in there:)

m

o
RE: Winter Survey - Survival of alpines in Plunge Bed

Reporting back about survival rate in a plunge bed.
Eventually we had plenty of snow cover and I am pleased to see green pushing through. Incarvillea mariel v. grandiflora did not make it..a dead little stock noted! I was so hoping to see this in bloom ):
Sam

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alpines & Rock Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here