Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
author62

Rock plants for SE Alaska

author62
20 years ago

Hi Folks,

I've got a huge rock wall/garden (8'x100') to work on this summer. There is little to fair amounts of soil in its pockets. Would love any advice on what type of rock plants can thrive w/ a minimum of soil, and/or are long blooming. Live in SE Alaska and weather is just a bit colder & wetter than Seattle. This rock wall has full sun exposure. Dinathus and Snow In The Summer has thrived well in a similarly located rock garden. Please, I'd love as many suggestions as possible.

Thanks in advance,RM

Comments (2)

• mareas
    20 years ago

Hi RM - My opinion from here is that your rock wall would be grand place to grow a sedum collection - the hardy succulent stonecrops were born to fill those little crevices and with enough varieties (red, purple, bronze, pink, blue and every shade of green and every color of flowers in the summer) it will not be the least trite!

• johnns
    20 years ago

Contact the Alaska Rock Garden Society based in Ankorage. Their web site is www.args.org. Contact information is in their online newsletters. Their links page lists several Alaska specific sites.

Cheers,
    John P in NS

Here is a link that might be useful: Alaska Rock Garden Society

Sponsored