Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mantine_gw

Cleaning white rocks

mantine
18 years ago

Does anyone have any tips for cleaning the rocks in my garden? They are small white rocks (2-4 inches in size)and have been down for about 4 years and are now looking mostly black. We tried pouting bleach on them but it didn't really help. Anyone know if there is a certian cleaning product out there that would help? Thanks!

Christine

Comments (4)

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

Acid. Not for the faint hearted. It would help to know what the black is. Algae? Iron staining?

• frassefinder
    18 years ago

Try using a hull cleaner that you can purchase from a large boat store or marina. It is an acid but not as severe as some.

• irisgirl
    17 years ago

Hi, Mantine - You really need to know what minerals compose those (formerly) white rocks. Most any acid could do a really destructive job on them. Take a handful of the rocks to your local nursery and ask them what to do - please don't just go pouring stuff on them to see what works! Good luck.

• botann
    17 years ago

I would get rid of the white rocks. Haul them away or bury them. The glare alone is reason enough for me to not use them. As you found out, they don't look white after a few years and are next to impossible to clean. Pouring harsh chemicals on them can't be good for the soil or plants.

I saw a thread on examples of bad landscaping. You'd be surprised how many of them had white gravel.

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner