Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yellow_bear_1

feeding the soil under a gravel mulch

yellow_bear_1
19 years ago

I'm thinking I should feed the soil in my alpine garden. It's been about 3 years since it was put in. There is a pea gravel mulch about an inch deep covering the entire garden. So I'm guessing I'll need to rake all the mulch off to top dress the soil and the prospect is not inviting. But I can't imagine any other solution. Does anybody have any ideas or experience with this? Thanks,

Tom

p.s. the soil is a mix of thirds, local clay soil, fine gravel and peat. Everything has been growing well but I'm thinking the soil will depleat.

Comments (6)

• leftwood
    19 years ago

So the question is: "Is pea gravel going to absorb all the nutrients that you apply?"

Certainly nitrogen will go right through. And given the poor nutrient holding capability of minneral soils in general, I doubt there would be any effect at all. You could apply a dry granular fertilizer when the mulch is very dry, and gently rake it in. It would fall through and get down a ways without removing the rock mulch. I would feel confident doing that in my garden, but maybe someone with a better chemistry background will answer too.

I would be cautious about fertilizing at all. Alpines are wildflowers too, and will flower best without excess nutrients. But if you want to get som bulk on the plants, that would be a good reason.

Rick

• yellow_bear_1
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks Rick,
    I wasn't thinking so much of the pea gravel absorbing the nutrients as I was concerned about covering the pea gravel with organics or whatever would be best to feed a depleating alpine soil. I want to maintain the gravel mulch to keep the plant crowns dry while conserving the moisture below. But if I can just fertilize with chemicals to maintain the soil I do imagine they would slip on down between the little pebbles, So are you saying that just adding a chemical fertilizer will keep the soil healthy?
    Tom

• leftwood
    19 years ago

Of course "healthy soil" is a different thing than just fertilizing. Although they can go hand in hand nothing leads me to believe your soil isn't anything but healthy.

As I was reading your reply, Ringer natural fertilizer came to mind because it is still a granular form, and would still fall all between the pea gravel. The extra microbes and micro organisms can only do good, so you have an organic alternative too. It is more concentrated with the basic nutrients than a compost, for example, but far less so than any chemically based feeds. Many alpiners use slow release fertilizers like Osmocote in pots and troughs, but if and how much anyone does in in ground gardens I don't know. I am so dumb about this. I sure someone will pipe up.

Being your first time at this, I think I would choose a chemically based one. Results would be more definitive. Even a slow release one would be faster acting than a natural. So if you goofed and fertilized when you shouldn't have, the reprocussions probably won't be as long lasting. Then the next time, you'll know the right cue for fertilizing.

Rick

• yellow_bear_1
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks, Rick,
    You're right that my soil might not really need anything yet . It stands to reason that at some time it will since I don't let much decay and clean most of the season's growth away. Ringer fertilizer. Is that commonly available? It does sound like the ticket to begin with. thanks again,
    Tom

• Juliana63
    19 years ago

A soil test should answer some of your questions about what may be lacking for your particlar plants. Using chemical fertilizer without knowledge of specific needs can be expensive at best and damaging at worst. I know it can be a hassle, but county extension offices and many nurseries offer this service. Maybe a good interim solution would be watering with compost tea -- it would filter through your gravel and replenish those good micro orangnisms. Good luck.

• leftwood
    19 years ago

compost tea! What a good idea!

Ringer fertilizer is common where I live. But Minnesota is where it first started out, so I can't say about other places, although it is a nationwide company.

Knowing the lean soils rock plants grow in, I wouldn't know how to interpret a soil test for alpines, except the pH level. The guidelines given will be for lawns or vegetable and/or flower gardens.

Rick