Return to the Alpines & Rock Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hardy sundew compatible with ice plant, chicks and hens

Posted by mariedubuque zone 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 5, 07 at 11:18

Could I plant hardy sundew(Drosera Intermedia) alongside my ice plants and Chicks and Hens in a rock garden. I realize hardy sundew are considered bog plants, but the soil mixture is much the same (2/3 peat. 1/3 sand) and I can simply water the sundew much more than the ice plants and Hens and Chicks. We have hot humid summers here. I would appreciate any advice! Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hardy sundew compatible with ice plant, chicks and hens

Too much moisture will keep an ice plant growing fanatically, and it would probably never bloom. Winter survival would be another issue that would be affected. Your ice plant would seek out the moisture that you give the sundew, even if it was "far enough away".

If you had an impervious barrier between them, you might be able to pull it off. That would at least keep the moisture away from the ice plant. But at issue here is the total environment, not just the soil. Sundew like sun, but their roots cool. Ice plants demand sun and warm, dry soil. While Hen & chicks are not quite so picky, I still don't think it's a good idea.

What you could do with success is plant your Hen & chicks and ice plant on top of rocks or in a depression in a rock where the rock sits on top of the sundew medium. In effect, the two environments would be completely separate, and therefore doable.

As for the soil mix being essentially the same, I suppose it is also doable, but in my opinion, I don't agree. That is, if you are grow alpine type plants. Water retentive soils that copious amounts of peat produce are not good for alpines, especially in humid environments. They naturally grow in mineral soils with low water retention, and low humidity. Just as many alpines die in the summer heat and humidity, as from cold winters. While some alpines are adaptable (like Hens & chicks), others are not.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alpines & Rock Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here