Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karlina_gw

need help

karlina
18 years ago

A large part of my front yard is a steep hill surrounded by trees that goes straight out to the street in front of my house. I am looking for a perrinneal to plant in the rocks that I plan on putting there. I would like something that has pink or white flowers that last a long time, and is shade tolerant. I live in Virginia. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Comments (2)

• leftwood
    18 years ago

You'll get more answers on the perrenial forum, as rock and alpine gardens are usually full sun. But the various varieties, cultivars and species of astilbe come to mind that would fit the bill. Also any bleeding heart species, and the pink or white flowering heucheras.

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

How much shade? And how dry is it? Some Saxifrages like part shade, Violas are good if it isn't too dry, Arenaria for part shade. Woodland geraniums might work. Think about spring ephemerals like bulbs, crocus, snowdrops, cyclamen for a burst of colour before the trees leaf out. Then if it is a really tough spot, look to Ajuga (blue flowers but coloured foliage), Lamb's Ears for very dry conditions. If the shade is deep then you are going to struggle to get good flowering. Get to like foliage :)