Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ginnypryor

Rock Garden

GinnyPryor
12 years ago

I have heard a lot about how hard it is to keep weeds out of a rock garden and how that layering with thick plastic, newspapers, spraying with round up, etc. I have another suggestion that I plan to try and since I plan to plant my flowers, etc. in large pots instead of the ground, I will pour a layer of concrete in the area I want to pour my rocks on. This will keep out the weeds and even though it may be somewhat of a expence to start with, I won't have to worry about ever weeding. When I am finished I will post a pic of my beautiful rock garden without the weeding.

Comments (11)

• botann
    12 years ago

Good luck, Ginny.
    What's wrong with a little weeding? The trick is, just don't make your rock garden larger than you can comfortably handle.
    I think concrete is a bad idea, but prove me wrong.
    Rock arrangement is very important and almost all beginners get it wrong.
    Mike

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    12 years ago

Weeds will still blow in from somewhere...everywhere. Not all weeds come from below.

tj

• gamekeeper
    12 years ago

I tryed to bite my tongue,but that is the dumbest idea I have heard ever.

• botann
    12 years ago

Not only should you not only make it as large as you can comfortably handle, you should plant it as thick as you can without covering up the rocks so the weeds don't stand much of a chance.
    Here's one of mine.
    {{gwi:63883}}

• botann
    12 years ago

Here's the smallest Rock Garden I could come up with. A friend made it.
    Mike

{{gwi:369808}}

• pippi21
    12 years ago

Do you mind sharing what flowers you have in there? It looks like maybe creeping phlox and alyssum or candytuft from the picture..what is the yellow flower to the left? Beautiful! Is that your home up above? Seattle, you all get a lot of rainfall, don't you?

• botann
    12 years ago

Creeping Phlox, Iberis, and Sedums. The yellow plant on the lower left is a yellow Sedum. There are a few Azaleas also.
    Mike

• botann
    11 years ago

pippi, yes, it rains a lot here near Seattle. I have to put moss killer on my back. We even have a festival celebrating the rain. It's called Bumbershoot....another name for umbrella.
    Mike

• tracyvine
    11 years ago

I'm with Botann on planting as much as possible between the rocks, greenery and flowers really showcase the rocks so nicely! Love all the color and contrast between the rocks. Your rock garden is beautiful Botann.

• woodswalker88
    11 years ago

I have a shady hillside where I am starting some groundcover patches. Well last week I had a patio built and the construction guy dumped a huge load of dirt on the hillside between these areas. I put down some weed-stop fabric and distributed the dirt so that the lawn would be eliminated & I could plant more groundcover next year.
    Then I decided "I'm tired of planting stuff. Why not make the area into a rock-scape with garden sculpture instead."
    I could use pressure treated 4x4s as "steps' or "terraces" and fill the areas between with pebbles, large tiles from Lowes, or whatever interesting objects I can find. (old patio stones too.) And a nice garden sculpture if I can find one.
    There was no thread for rock-scapes so this was the closest I could find. I'm looking for technical advice or pictures before I get started with this.

• botann
    11 years ago

Ginny, how is that concrete rock garden coming along?
    Woodswalker, do you have a picture of your site?
    That would sure help.
    Mike

Sponsored