Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hobbes_in_dobbs

plants between stones in shade

Hobbes_in_Dobbs
20 years ago

Hi there! I'm looking for ideas for perennial plants to plant in crevices of a small stone retaining wall near my house that gets basically no sun, but there is some bright reflected light. I am interested in evergreen foliage, creeping habit, flowers would be nice. There's very little space in between the rocks.

Thanks! -Hobbes

Comments (7)

• safariofthemind
    20 years ago

Irish moss would be nice...Sagina subulata. RJ

Here is a link that might be useful: Irish moss

• waplummer
    20 years ago

Ferns especially maidenhair speenwort, ebony speenwort, Virginia polypody, fragile fern, berry bulblet fern and Japanese painted fern are some possibilities.
    Flowering plants; Ramonda, Campanula rotundifolia, other low-growing campanulas, Corydalis lutea (blooms from spring to fall). A lot of plants have self-seeded into my walls. if you have seeds of rock garden plants or other small plants, you might try sowing seeds in the crevices.

• sheryl_ontario
    19 years ago

violets are nice too, and easy to grow in small spaces between rocks, but very prolific!

• MeMyselfAndI
    19 years ago

They're herbaceous, but some creeping Sedums would add interest. I know 'dragon's blood' can take mostly shade. Slightly less colorful that way, but still an eye-catching plant.

• altorama Ray
    19 years ago

what about ajuga? in mild winters it is evergreen, flowers in the spring. quick spreader.

• Ina Plassa_travis
    19 years ago

another vote here for Corydalis- I had one drop seeds without knowing what would happen- now, I have five little ones in cracks in my cement wall, plus about 15 others which I have moved to other areas of the garden- the flowers aren't much, but the lacey foliage is to die for :)

• kitova
    19 years ago

i have a creeping sedum that volunteered in my yard, which i transplanted into my bed only to have it take over there... wonderful bright green plump creeping foliage and tiny little yellow blooms in late spring/early summer. i threw some down below my retaining wall where there is limited sun and lots of rocks, and this year, well! there are a few more where i DIDN'T put them. and i've been thinking about what to put there at minimal cost to cover all the rocky slopes i have.

try sedum, everyone says they are for sun, but my experience has seen different. better yet, ask me to send you some in an exchange. :P

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm