Return to the Alpines & Rock Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
plants between stones in shade

Posted by Hobbes_in_Dobbs z6a NY (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 7, 04 at 13:43

Hi there! I'm looking for ideas for perennial plants to plant in crevices of a small stone retaining wall near my house that gets basically no sun, but there is some bright reflected light. I am interested in evergreen foliage, creeping habit, flowers would be nice. There's very little space in between the rocks.

Thanks! -Hobbes

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: plants between stones in shade

Irish moss would be nice...Sagina subulata. RJ

Here is a link that might be useful: Irish moss

o

Ferns especially maidenhair speenwort, ebony speenwort, Virginia polypody, fragile fern, berry bulblet fern and Japanese painted fern are some possibilities.
Flowering plants; Ramonda, Campanula rotundifolia, other low-growing campanulas, Corydalis lutea (blooms from spring to fall). A lot of plants have self-seeded into my walls. if you have seeds of rock garden plants or other small plants, you might try sowing seeds in the crevices.

o

violets are nice too, and easy to grow in small spaces between rocks, but very prolific!

o

They're herbaceous, but some creeping Sedums would add interest. I know 'dragon's blood' can take mostly shade. Slightly less colorful that way, but still an eye-catching plant.

o

what about ajuga? in mild winters it is evergreen, flowers in the spring. quick spreader.

o

another vote here for Corydalis- I had one drop seeds without knowing what would happen- now, I have five little ones in cracks in my cement wall, plus about 15 others which I have moved to other areas of the garden- the flowers aren't much, but the lacey foliage is to die for :)

o

i have a creeping sedum that volunteered in my yard, which i transplanted into my bed only to have it take over there... wonderful bright green plump creeping foliage and tiny little yellow blooms in late spring/early summer. i threw some down below my retaining wall where there is limited sun and lots of rocks, and this year, well! there are a few more where i DIDN'T put them. and i've been thinking about what to put there at minimal cost to cover all the rocky slopes i have.

try sedum, everyone says they are for sun, but my experience has seen different. better yet, ask me to send you some in an exchange. :P

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alpines & Rock Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here