Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wyndyacre_gw

Cavendish Perennials in Ont. for Semps

wyndyacre
19 years ago

Has anyone in Canada ordered plants from Cavendish Perennials in Burlington, Ontario?

How were they for plants, shipping etc? Their website has no photos so I tried to print off their plant list to hold in my hand when searching for photo ID on other websites. The printing was so TINY, I could not read it.

Thanks for any info,

Anne-Mrie

Comments (10)

• GardenChicken
    19 years ago

Hi Anne-Marie,

There's a thread over in the Gardening in Canada forum that has some discussion about Canvendish.
    Sorry I can't be of more help, but maybe try re-posting your question over there.

~GardenChicken

Here is a link that might be useful: Any info as requested!

• wyndyacre
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for the info and link to the other post, GardenChicken. I found the email I need to order a catalogue there.
    Anne-Marie

• madman
    19 years ago

Hi Anne-Marie
    We've ordered from Jack, the owner/operator 3 or 4 times and the plants and the prices are fantastic. I plan on ordering from him again this year to add to the 150 semps we already have. I cannot recommend him highly enough. The generous offerings come bare root, packed in individual paper bags with the name written on the bag. He won't ship anything unless there is enough healthy stock for him to be satisfied. A real hidden treasure IMHO!

Jonathan,
    Perth, ON

• wyndyacre
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I got the catalogue from Cavendish about a week after I emailed Jack. I'm pouring over it now trying to decide what semps to order. I just built a huge rock/alpine garden last spring and will put some in there but have begun to collect nice little terracotta pots to showcase some of the more attractive semps. Can hardly wait to order! I wish that they had pictures in the catalogue but I guess I'll just go to the Squaw Mountain Perennials website to look at their great pictures of the different varities of semps.

• Pudge 2b
    19 years ago

There's also this site for tons of semp photos

Here is a link that might be useful: Semp photos

• wyndyacre
    Original Author
    19 years ago

What a great website for semp photos! I want them all-how will I ever decide what to order first!?

• Pudge 2b
    19 years ago

I received an order today from Cavendish perennials, and I couldn't be more pleased. Seems like I got an awful lot for my money, and they threw in some 'bonus' semps as well. My first order with them, but I know I'll be a repeat customer.

• wyndyacre
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I just placed an order with Cavendish for 14 semp varities. Can hardly wait to get them. What kind did you get Pudge?
    And Madman-with so many semps and I assume other alpine types, how are they planted out? Do you have a large alpine garden or do you place in pots or troughs? Pictures?
    Anne-Marie

• wyndyacre
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I got my order of semps from Cavendish Perennials the other day. I was thrilled with it-everything you all said it would be. Generous offerings, well packed and great condition. I ordered 14 varieties and they sent me 3 bonus varieties as well, off my substitution list. I can see I will be ordering more!

• Pudge 2b
    18 years ago

I potted up my order when it arrived and have been keeping it either in the greenhouse or outdoors, depending on the weather. The area where I'll be planting them isn't quite yet ready. I had 17 varieties, and after dividing them up there are somewhere around 40 or so pots - I could have divided even more as each pot has more than 1 rosette. They are already growing and some are sending out their chicks. I ordered mostly coloured varieties - reds, purples, lavenders, blues. Within that mix i tried to mix up leaf shapes as well. I think it's a nice variety and can't wait to plant them out.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES