Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grandmasgarden

Propagation info

grandmasgarden
19 years ago

Hi everyone, found another interesting site while trolling for propagation info--has data pertinent to rock garden natives as well as other native plants. I have found several useful items here.

Good Growing,

Tommie

Here is a link that might be useful: Native Plants Propagation Protocol Database

Comments (7)

• leftwood
    19 years ago

Very interesting. Looked up a couple (non alpine) things and am already surprised at the empirical results recorded. Thanks!

• sagebrushred
    19 years ago

A very informative site! It's interesting to read the different methods that have been used for the same seed/plant.
    I looked up a couple of plants that I've got sown to see how what I've done compares. It looks as though I should have used some Ga3 on my Erythronium grandiflorum. From what I read I don't suspect I'll be successful this go around.(dang!)

Now that I've got seeds that are starting to germinate I have been getting anxious for everything to show signs of life. It was good to read that some of what I have sown didn't germinate until temps. where warmer... it gives me hope.(Isn't it spring yet?)

(here in Utah the crocus and rock iris are just beginning to bloom.)

• vegangirl
    19 years ago

oh dear, I haven't sowed anything yet. I still can't find the chicken grit:-(

• brian2cv
    19 years ago

I can't believe with a husband who is in the building trade you can't find suitable grit or coarse sand :-) The link below might help you.

Brian

Here is a link that might be useful: Chicken grit link

• vegangirl
    19 years ago

Brian, thanks for the link! There is a Southern States in nearby NC that I will check for the grit. I am SO confused about the sand. I think sand must be called different things in different parts of the country. For instance, one says get play sand, that it's coarse enough, then another poster will say don't use play sand, it's too fine. One says masonry sand and builder's sand is the same thing, another says it's not. One says masonry sand is too fine, another says it's perfect. If I just knew the texture that I need to get, then the name wouldn't matter. Nobody here seems to know what horticulural sand is and if you ask for "sharp" sand, they just look at you like you've lost your mind. I don't know of a swimming pool supply place naywhere near here. It's frustrating and the season marches on.......

• brian2cv
    19 years ago

Even here in the UK there is confusion, partly due to different sands and grits being available from local quarries, and naturally cheaper. If it helps you. Soft sand is soft to handle, used in mortar for brickwork as it easier to work with, safe for play sand, but has little use in plant composts. The particle size is about 1mm or less, and usually very regular. Sharp sand is very gritty, used in smooth concrete, as it is hard wearing, and has particles usually (but not always)larger, maybe 1-3 or 4mm. If you rub soft sand between you hands it does little damage, rub sharp sand between your hands and it will scratch them. Grits are coarser, varying from 2mm up to maybe 6 or 8mm. I use 2-6mm grit as top dressing on seed pots, up to 8mm in composts for very good drainage with alpines. If you can get 4-6mm then it does OK for most things. The sharper the better. I have used crushed flint, granite, quartzite, limestone at different times and for different plants, including chicken grit, which oddly is classed as food here so has no tax added.
    Hope some of this helps, Brian

• vegangirl
    19 years ago

Thank you for the clarification. That does help a lot. Knowing the size and the "feel" of the type I need to get will be very helpful. That's funny about the chicken grit being classed as food:-)

Sponsored