Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boothbay_gw

New to Hens & chicks

boothbay
13 years ago

I bought my first one this past summer and so far its doing nicely...except they are getting too tall and straggling. Is this typical? The tag says to keep it warm ( its in a 80" warm south window during the winter ) and moist. I see little babies at the base, but also see some bottom 'leaves' turning brown and shrivel. Don't know what else to do to prevent it from getting worse. BTW, I have it over a covered radiator.

Comments (9)

• botann
    13 years ago

Most Hen and Chicks I know are outside plants and don't take well being grown inside. I wouldn't put it out in the middle of winter now though, especially in Zone 6.
    Can you post a picture?

• boothbay
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, here are two pics of them.
    {{gwi:370038}}

{{gwi:370039}}

Are they known for getting tall or is there a limit?

• botann
    13 years ago

I'm no expert when it comes to naming succulents. When I worked at a nursery years ago the crows were always stealing the name tags. We didn't grow the indoor types of Hen and Chicks or other succulents. That's what I think you have.

Legginess is caused by too much heat in combination with too much water, and lack of adequate light. It looks like you have enough light. They need a cooler window, and less water. Repotting in larger containers using a very gritty mix would help too. Go easy on the water. They can go over a month without it and it would be doing them a favor.
    Hope this helps.
    I do have a few indoor types now though.
    Hope this helps.

Mike
    Pics of my garden. http://community.webshots.com/user/phildert

• botann
    13 years ago

I'm no expert when it comes to naming succulents. When I worked at a nursery years ago the crows were always stealing the name tags. We didn't grow the indoor types of Hen and Chicks or other succulents. That's what I think you have.

Legginess is caused by too much heat in combination with too much water, and lack of adequate light. It looks like you have enough light. They need a cooler window, and less water. Repotting in larger containers using a very gritty mix would help too. Go easy on the water. They can go over a month without it and it would be doing them a favor.

I do have a few indoor types now though.
    Hope this helps.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: My garden pics

• boothbay
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Mike, i had no idea that there were indoor types and outdoor types. I was treating it according to the tag that came with it...keep it moist, and warm..so I have it in a south window during this wintry season on top of a radiator...perhaps too much heat. Why would the tag say to keep it moist? I did see them outside my church in a small alcove where they were blooming...not a rock garden, just something thrown in among other flowers by the church keeper.

• boothbay
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Of course, what you have pictured is not Hen and Chicks (Sempervivum sp.) at all.>>>

Thanks, Rick...i finally found the tag that came with it and its called "California sunset" ( Graptosedum ) If its not of the H * C family, what is it? Of course i could google and find out that way too. LOL

• Lynn-john Burcham
    8 years ago

Ok my chicks seems to be leaving the hen. I keep in side this winter cause it was new and didn't want it to die I now have outside on the porch for about a week or two now. It gets the east sun until about 12 or maybe earlier than that. Can you tell me what I need to do. Here's a picture

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    7 years ago

That photo also doesn't look like hens and chicks (Sempervivum tectorum) to me. I'd suspect it is some sort of tender succulent, most likely an Aeonium, but suggest you post on the Cacti and Succulents forum for confirmation.

Hens and chicks are an incredibly hardy grouping of plants, fully winter hardy outdoors to zone 3. They tend to be very flat, spreading plants and only extend their growth when they produce flowers, after which the flowering mother plant (hen) dies. The chicks will form along side the hen and look exactly like her but in miniature - see this link for an example of "true" hens and chicks.

The more tender succulents - and there are many - are much more fussy both about cold, soil conditions and watering - they are for the most part true desert dwellers, whereas H&C are native to mountainous areas of southern Europe. When posting in the Cactus forum, I would also ask suggestions about repotting, as the mix your plants are in looks far too dense and moisture retentive for their preferences. That's why your extensions (aeoniums can produce 'arms' or branches) are not looking good.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!