Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brigid32

edelweiss

brigid32
14 years ago

I brought back some edelweiss as a souvenir of my trip to Switzerland, but I think the planting instructions on the back are assuming an alpine climate, not California. I read that they like a sandy soil, which means I will need to plant in a pot, since our soil is very clay-heavy. The package says full sun, but I'm wondering if that will work here, where it can get into the 90-degree range in the summer. It also says to plant May-July in pots, keep cool and transplant to outdoors when tall seedlings. Well, it will not be cool outdoors in July here. It might be in the 70s or 80s in May, but I don't know if that's as cool as they prefer. I do live in N. CA, which gets cool at night. My USDA zone above (9) is somewhat misleading, as we have microclimates here. I can never remember my CA zone, but I am sort of at the edge of 3 different zones, anyway.

What do you think? partial shade? How much? And what time of year should I sow/transplant the seeds? (Actually, I can't think of a shady spot where I could put a pot. All my pots are in full sun. I have a hill with plenty of shade, but I can't put a pot on the side of a hill. I do have a shady spot where I had some camelias that died, but I would have to amend all the clay soil. It's like solid clay, which is likely why the camelias died. I didn't plant them, by the way -- the previous owner did.)

Comment (1)

• calinromania
    14 years ago

hey brigid
    from what i know, edelweiss is really a top-mountain plant, growing in very little soil - as much as it can get between rock cracks.
    it likes to grow in not so accessible high slopes in SUN. but mountain sun is different than the one you may have there ( :) )
    i live in Romania, gets really freezing in winter, snow, and this kinda is what they also get up there in the mountains.
    i had three edelweiss plants i got from a nursery and they bloomed nicely last year, but now they seem to be dead. this is normal after a long cond winter.
    and ... wondering if they'd come up again.
    http://entertainment.webshots.com/photo/2257847620104010362FmoAwe
    so... i'd say you picked the wrong flower :)
    but.. you can always try.
    with seeds, it's also tricky. i also got seeds from a friend and he told me to put good potting soil in a pot, water it for a few days to make sure no weeds grow, and if they do, pull them out, and then just sprinkle the seeds on top of the soil and place it all in a plastic bag.
    once in a while mist/spray water gently not to push seeds to the margin of the pot.
    i got 3 small seedlings so far.
    i wish i could give you some better info.
    Calin

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor