Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yellow_bear_1

Codonopsis

yellow_bear_1
15 years ago

Has anyone got any experience with Codonopsis, any Codonopsis, or in particicular I'm looking right now at Codonopsis ovata. I don't see them offered many places but they are beautiful. I'm looking at the Arrowhead alpines catalog. They have lots of plants, I've bought from them before and they deliver good plants. They just don't offer much information in the way of hardiness or cultivation. So I'm turning to you all. I live in a zone 4-5.

Thanks,

Tom

Comments (2)

• kms4me
    15 years ago

Tom,

I started C. lanceolata and clematidae from seed last year and they spent the winter in a nursery bed. It's too early here (I'm in zone 4 too) yet to know how they will overwinter, though the person I got the lanceolata seeds from is in zone 5 and has grown it successfully there. I'll try to let you know how they come through.

kms

• janet_e
    14 years ago

The American Hort. Society encyclopedia says zone 7-9 for all Codonopsis, including C. ovata. On the other hand, I found a web site that says zone 4.

If you're looking for an inexpensive way to try codonopsis, Codonopsis clematidea is very easy to grow from seed. I got seed from the Rock Garden Society seed exchange, and, two years later, I had plants in bloom.

Good luck,
    Janet

Here is a link that might be useful: Codonopsis ovata

Sponsored
Your Source for Tailored Remodeling Solutions in Loudoun County