Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
batyabeth

translpanting wild cyclamen

batyabeth
15 years ago

I'm a lurker from other forums, but my searches for info have led me here. I have many wild cyclamen in my current garden. I am moving in June (the hottest, dryest June you can imagine)and the new owners of my house will pour concrete over and wipe out my ten year old garden within weeks of moving in. I'd like to save as many wild cyclamen _ and everything else - as possible, so my question is how? How to dig perfectly happy, wild cyclamen and take them with me? Perfectly happy wild anemone, too, BTW. My ground is still somewhat moist from our winter rains, but after, say, Easter, there will be no more rain till Oct. I know now is the time, but I need advice on the particulars. Many thanks.........Batya

Comments (2)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    15 years ago

I have no experience with this, but my advice (for what it's worth) is to take as much of the rootball as possible (dig as deep and wide as reasonably possible) and keep well shaded while they become established. Watch the soil moisture level carefully, and don't let them get too dry.

• rinomanfroni
    12 years ago

Yes, you can transplant hardy cyclamens in June. Actually, that is the best time of the year to do that! I transplanted successfully 6 tubers of hardy cyclamens last summer and they all came back with blooms and foliage in the early Fall. If you dig them up in the summer, you will find out they have little to no roots at all around them. It seems like these tubers go 100% dormant in the summer (at least here in North Texas) and they almost "resurrect" when you least think about them!

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths